PS2 Hardware - Board FAQ

#1CNash(Moderator)Posted 10/28/2005 12:08:38 PMmessage detail
Since this board moves very slowly, and the same questions are being asked over and over again, I've decided to do a little research and create the PS2 Hardware board's very own Frequently Asked Questions list. Here goes.

==CONTENTS==

1.) How can I disable the parental controls?
2.) How do I get connected to the online services...
a.) ...with an old PS2?
b.) ...with a slimline PS2?
3.) Can I use USB memory drives to store my game saves?
4.) How do I format my memory card?
5.) How do I save PS1 games?
6.) My PS2 doesn't play blue discs, or I'm getting Disk Read Errors! Help!

-----

1.) How can I disable the parental controls?

Some movies prompt you for a parental control password when you first put them into the PS2. If this is the first time you've seen the parental controls box, you can choose a password yourself - best set it to something easy, like 2222, if you don't have kids or can't be bothered with the feature.

If you've set up a code in the past, but have since forgotten it, here's how to delete it:

• When you're asked for your password, press SELECT.
• You'll be prompted for a deletion code. Enter 7444.
• You can now set a new password for parental controls.

Once you've set a new password, your movie will play. Enjoy.

-----

2.) How do I get connected to the online services...

a.) ...with an old PS2?

First of all, you'll need the following:

• A PS2 network adaptor.
• An internet connection (broadband or dial-up).
• A length of CAT5 ethernet cable (bought from most computer hardware stores) -OR- a length of phone cable (for dial-up users only).
• The setup disc that came with your network adaptor.

Next, connect your network adaptor to your PS2 using the supplied instructions. (Or, watch the Help video on the setup disc, which will walk you through it.) Plug one end of your CAT5 or phone cable into the network adaptor, and the other end into whatever your PC's internet connection plugs into - cable modem, wall socket, whatever.

Make sure you have a memory card inserted, and load the setup disc.

• Choose "ISP Setup", and follow the instructions to register your adaptor (or not, whatever). • You must then pick a name for your connection. Call it something meaningful.
• On the next screen, pick Yes. Then choose Automatic Settings. If all goes well, you'll be done. If not, you'll need to pick Manual Settings, and then enter the settings for your internet connection. These should either be in the documentation that your ISP gave you when you signed up, or you can find them in your PC's network settings like so:
• Go to Control Panel and select Network Connections, then right-click on your local connection and select Properties. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click Properties. Copy down the details you see on this screen - IP address, etc. - and use them to set up your PS2's connection.

You should now be connected properly; put your copy of SOCOM or whatever in, and have fun.

b.) ...with a slimline PS2?

The good news is that most of the instructions above will apply to you too, but with one difference - your PS2 has a network adaptor built in, so you won't need to go out and buy one. Your setup disc should have come with your PS2 too. If you don't have the disc, don't worry - some online-enabled games will get you through the setup procedure just as well.

[continued in next post...]
#2CNash(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 10/28/2005 12:10:18 PMmessage detail
3.) Can I use USB memory drives to store my game saves?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Not officially.

Of course, Sony would prefer that you buy its memory cards and use them to save your data, instead of going down to your local computer store and buying a cheaper, bigger USB flash memory device (also called a USB stick, a Pendrive, or an MP3 player.) Unfortunately, there's no real way to save your game saves directly to a USB drive - you'll need a third-party piece of software, and even then, you're limited only to copying the files across, not saving them directly. Most newer cheating discs will let you copy files to and from USB devices - some Action Replay MAX discs even come with a small USB drive.

-----

4.) How do I format my memory card?

The data on your memory card can be corrupted for all sorts of reasons, and it's very tricky to reformat the card and regain its use. There is NO internal function to reformat memory cards, except if the PS2 offers to do it for you. And if it doesn't offer...well...

Once again, look towards cheating devices. Many of them come with memory manager software, and these should allow you to completely format your memory card. Of course, it's possible that the cheating device itself was what caused your problem in the first place, so if you've destroyed it in a fit of rage, you might be a little stuck. :)

-----

5.) How do I save PS1 games?

Buy a PS1 memory card. They're dirt cheap nowadays. You can save your PS1 games to one of those. And once you're done playing them, you can transfer your blocks over to a PS2 memory card using the Browser.

-----

6.) My PS2 doesn't play blue discs, or I'm getting Disk Read Errors! Help!

Both problems are essentially the same: your PS2's laser is either worn out or has drifted out of alignment. Since I have no experience with opening the PS2 up and fiddling around inside, I won't try and explain the procedure myself - instead, I'll hand you over to the good folks at Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

By the way, I will NOT be held responsible for anything that might happen to your PS2 once you've opened it up.

If you don't like the sound of poking around in your PS2's guts, your only other option is to have it repaired. Either find a reputable local dealer who'll do it for you, or send it off to Sony. If it's within warranty, you'll get it fixed for free - if not, the fee is $75 USD, £55 GBP, and most probably around the same elsewhere. You'll find the technical support line for Sony in the back of most game manuals.

-----

There you go... six of the most commonly asked questions on this board, all nicely answered. If anyone else has questions and/or answers, feel free to ask here, or to add more information.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#3Naru2005Posted 11/7/2005 11:51:46 AMmessage detail
7.) Do NTSC games work on PAL machines(and vice versa)?
8.) Can the slim PS2 support the Hard Disk Drive(HDD)?

-------------------------------

7.) Do NTSC games work on PAL machines(and vice versa)?

Not normally. The PS2 has region-lockouts.

Normally:

NTSC-UC games can only play on NTSC-UC machines.
NTSC-J games can only play on NTSC-J machines.
PAL games can only play on PAL machines.

8.) Can the slim PS2 support the Hard Disk Drive(HDD)?

Not at all. The only thing you'll be missing out entirely is Final Fantasy XI.

---
"Suddenly there came a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door." - Edgar Allen Poe
#4DouscPosted 11/18/2005 1:09:01 AMmessage detail
Aw, looks like some guy I know got screwed out of FFXI. >_<
---
*Board Hunter*
Karma Calculator: http://gf.xatal.com/calculator.php | Click this Button: http://clickthebutton.net
#5fillup0Posted 12/11/2005 3:50:26 AMmessage detail
ok. now i sometimes get dres when using blue disks, reset the console and it worked. but not fine. the game was all lazy and slow. my cheat disk couldn't make some of the cheats work as well.
---
[=[ ]=]
[+[ ]+]@_@ what you looking at.... no really..... looking at my ds?
#6fillup0Posted 12/11/2005 3:53:02 AMmessage detail
sorry for double posting. i don't like the sound of fiddling around with my ps2s brain too. also i don't know how to. if thats what is gonna answer my dre question.
---
[=[ ]=]
[+[ ]+]@_@ what you looking at.... no really..... looking at my ds?
#7CNash(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2005 5:12:47 AMmessage detail
Sorry, but it looks like you might have to either open it up and fiddle with it (although, have you looked at the tutorial I mentioned?) or get it repaired.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#8CitrikPosted 12/16/2005 11:14:38 AMmessage detail
From: fillup0 | Posted: 12/11/2005 6:53:02 AM | Message Detail
sorry for double posting. i don't like the sound of fiddling around with my ps2s brain too. also i don't know how to. if thats what is gonna answer my dre question.

Trust me, as long as you follow the directions laid out for you, your PS2 should be OK. Not to say that there isn't any risk in opening your PS2, but it's not like it's gonna stop working if, say, you put your finger in the wrong area or something. Just follow the directions, and you'll be alright. I was worried about it at first too, but once I got in there it was smooth sailing...

That sounds so naughty.
---
`·.,¸¸,.·´¯•·.·´¯`·.·••I Cast A Silver Shadow••·.·´¯`·.·•¯`·.,¸¸,.·´
Interrogator of the Ex Academy™ © 2005
#9Pain_kingPosted 12/17/2005 7:39:37 AMmessage detail
I also have a problem and I have read the FAQS so no help there.

My PS2 will not play any DVDS whatsoever I have tried numerous times with many DVD's and it still didnt work what is the problem??

Oh and if this is important when I go to Browser and then put the DVD in it says at the botom reading disc like three times and then it stops.
---
/\/\Y /\/4/\/\3 !$ 73|-| P4!/\/|
#10bobheadPosted 12/18/2005 9:56:10 AMmessage detail
I just called sony five minutes ago over DRE's from my brother's PS2, and it seems like they are no longer required by the lawsuit to give free repairs, if its not under warranty your out of luck.
---
Tickets to a WWE event: 20$; A signed book from a WWE superstar: 50$; Watching rikishi use his ass to win a match: priceless