So I just finished Psychonauts... finally...

#1raymanfan1Posted 7/10/2012 5:23:17 PM
After about 3 years of owning it and trying to play it twice but stopping half-way through due to a loss of interest, I finally finished it from start to finish yesterday.
Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game (Sasha Nein is one of the best game characters ever, IMO), but I just don't see what makes it a classic. It's imaginative and original, sure, but it's still a fairly normal platformer at its' core. The story was fantastic, but there's nothing else there I would praise over, say, Jak and Daxter apart from length.

I also didn't find it that funny. IGN's review (lol IGN) made it sound like i'd be pissing my pants by the end. Sure, it's the funniest game I own (not saying much) and I got a few chuckles out of it, but it's not like I was watching an episode of Whose Line or something.

Also, I didn't have any trouble with the Meat Circus. I'm playing a black-label PS2 copy, and as far as I know that had no alterations from the original Xbox code. What part of the Meat Circus made everyone pissy when it first came out? I know it was made 'easier' on the PC recently.
---
One Thousand Points!
#2wstfldPosted 7/10/2012 7:33:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3raymanfan1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 11:55:29 PM
bump
---
One Thousand Points!
#4GeminiX7Posted 7/12/2012 11:50:45 AM
Here's how the internet works.

A few people have an opinion.

If they have enough "E-street cred", thier opinion, no matter how exaggerated, becomes bandwagoned by anyone who gives thinks of games/gaming as more than just a source of entertainment/art(mouthbreathers).

Enough bandwagoning, and it becomes an unofficial "rule" of the internet that you must follow lest you be stoned by the villagers.

Rinse, repeat.

Its the reason why Nickelback is the WORST BAND EVER! Portal is a ****ING MASTERPIECE(Note: I actually lovethe Portal series)! Why Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts are THE GREATEST, MOST UNDERRATED GAMES EVER!

Pretty much, if you dissent from the common opinion in the slightest and are met with unreasonable hostility, and the same broken-record reasons for why its the MOST ______ EVER, chances are its just another bandwagon, hivemind "opinion" and should be taken with a grain of salt.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#5SplatterHouse55Posted 7/12/2012 10:44:56 PM
I played it to completion a few years back and absolutely loved it, but like most everything else in life, not everyone is going to enjoy it at the same level. I think it's the game's creative levels (no typical ice, lava, forrest levels) and humor that struck a chord with people that really love the game. It's rare that I bump into someone that hated it, so I would think it a safe game to suggest to platformer fans.