How many is too much?

#1SaturnFanPLPosted 7/17/2012 4:18:04 AM
I've been wondering how many people have the problem of having too many games, old and new, resulting in a massive backlog. Looking at the amount of content in games how many titles an average gamer is actually expected to have?

I don't have that many games, 12 for Sega Saturn, 22 for PS2, 4 for DS, 26 on Steam (not counting the ones I'd like to resell or something) 5 from GOG and a few boxed PC games. In overall around 70 titles (more than half of them I'd consider as "completed"), compared to some guys out there that's pretty mild, but I still feel somewhat overwhelmed. Sometimes I wish I actually had a more limited access to those games, as in I had to resort to buy one title every 2-3 months, so I'd have to be absolutely sure about the purchase and could actually focus on the game fully, instead of thinking about all those other games in my drawer that need some attention too. In this scenario I'd miss out on so many games I'd basically stop caring.

I guess the solution is simple: stop buying too much, but I'm pretty sure many of you know how it is, why avoid getting some good deals? Self control is hard when there are good opportunities all around. Maybe in my case I can sort of blame it on my past, when I pirated games cause I really could not, as a kid, afford new games (PC games maybe, but not PS2). And, some time after next-gen kicked in, when I finally could lay my hands on all those games (used or not) thanks to low prices it's just hard sometimes to resist. And like every human being I like owning stuff, in this case video games. I'm convinced some collectors would say that their collecting habit is somehow stronger than them.

My ultimate goal is to narrow down my collection to absolute must-have (or rather must-keep) games, but that's going to be difficult.
---
http://backloggery.com/sonix90
http://pl.youtube.com/user/SaturnFanPL - check it for new Sega Saturn and Playstation 2 gameplay videos.
#2Breastmilkn_DipPosted 7/17/2012 6:35:47 AM
#1 | SaturnFanPL | Posted 7/17/2012 1:18:04 PM
all those games (used or not) thanks to low prices it's just hard sometimes to resist.

why avoid getting some good deals?

My ultimate goal is to narrow down my collection to absolute must-have (or rather must-keep) games, but that's going to be difficult.

+1
---
lysa-tully.nom
#3eliminator99Posted 7/17/2012 7:19:42 AM
This topic as been done to death but OK, Do what you feel is good for you and don't judge others that collect games.
---
If it's not fun, your not playing
#4este914Posted 7/17/2012 7:23:11 AM
It can be tricky. There are alot of games I am interested in playing beforehand, but when I finally get around to them, I realize they suck or I simply am not interested. My backlog is quite big enough; maybe 10 games for each PS1 + PS2, while 360 and PS3 have about 20 games each I'd like to play. It's hard to prioritize too since I simply do not have as much time as I use to have to play all that i want. meh
---
-> este914 <-
WHO ELSE?!
#5SexPantherPandaPosted 7/17/2012 8:32:14 AM
I have over 2000 physical copies of games on various systems and I just play what ever whenever not a big deal. If I'm never able to get to all the games then oh well the fun was the collecting part anyways.
#6MortimerBrewstrPosted 7/17/2012 11:19:01 PM
How much depends on the person. If you now have kids or other responsibilities then it depends on what keeps you away. If you have nothing better to do than game then I guess that might be if you just have games sitting around now played.
---
When your reputation is ruined you can live quite freely.
Low Price Revolution
#7PS2isFunPosted 7/18/2012 2:42:51 AM
I'm convinced some collectors would say that their collecting habit is somehow stronger than them.

Very true. Though I'm not one of them.

I see it in people.They'll buy so many games or movies or whatever it may be to the point they say "I'm broke" and every month it's the same story. Like 20-30 games at once. Same thing happens with binge drinkers or addicts.
#8SmoshCuchPosted 7/19/2012 4:28:41 AM
It really varies wildly from person to person. If your goal is to play them all and not just collect, then it really depends on how much play time you have. Figure out how many games you play in, let's say a month, and try not to buy any more than that number. It will also depend on the length of the games; 3 100+ hour RPGs will add a lot more to your backlog than 3 5-10 hour action games.

Also, keep in mind that a good sale isn't necessarily a good deal if you'll never have time to play the game. Then it's just a waste of money. Buy games because you will play & enjoy them, not because they look like a bargain.
#9TerotrousPosted 7/19/2012 6:33:08 AM
Well TC, if it makes you feel any better, there are very few systems for which I don't have more games than you have in your whole collection.

As for how many games should people have? I think there are very few systems where a collections of less than 30 games can be justified in any way. If a person has less than that they probably never seriously delved into what was available for the system.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Biker Mice From Mars"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery