How many hours would I get per Xenosaga?

#1blue_manPosted 7/21/2012 8:36:17 AM
Currently I'm nearing the end of Tales of Graces f and I also beat Tales of the Abyss a few days ago. I have Yakuza 4 next on my list of games but I want to play another JRPG.

I'm kinda sick of Tales games at the moment though (but I have a few other Tales games to get through soon anyway). The thing is with Xenosaga though, is I own the entire trilogy but I gave up on the first one a while ago due to it being too cutscene heavy and me not picking up on the plot, 2 years later though I'm hoping I might enjoy it a bit more. The main question is how long is each game roughly, I take about 40-50 hours on a Tales game and I hear these are shorter.
---
Currently Playing: Yakuza 4 (PS3) Tales of Graces f (PS3)
#2El__FuertePosted 7/21/2012 9:36:48 AM
1: 25-30
2: 30-35
3: 25-30
---
The food I make will echo through the Gulf of Mexico like a mighty thunder!
A taste so great, it send you straight to heaven!
#3Yuffie4lifePosted 7/21/2012 1:15:52 PM
Of gameplay? Probably like ten hours through the entire series.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m53ntdPbQI1rxuaw6o1_400.gif
http://i56.tinypic.com/29zd1tk.jpg
#4izza20Posted 7/22/2012 2:12:40 AM
El__Fuerte posted...
1: 25-30
2: 30-35
3: 25-30

Really? I'd break it down more like:
1: 40-50
2: 25-30
3: 35-40
#5blue_man(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2012 2:31:57 AM
Which would be better though? Skies of Arcadia or Xenosaga?
---
#6Stunning SteveAustinPosted 7/22/2012 4:44:44 AM(edited)
XS2 can be beaten in under 20 hours easily, my final time was like 16. The others are closer to 30 hours.

Which would be better though? Skies of Arcadia or Xenosaga?

That depends on what you're looking for. Xenosaga if you want something more original, cinematic, and story-driven. SoA is more your typical jrpg, full of the usual cliches, and an unremarkable battle system, although what it does better than most is it's world design; you get a great sense of adventure flying your ship off into uncharted skies, hunting for discoveries... until a battle happens, interrupting the fun.
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#7blue_man(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2012 8:03:05 AM(edited)
They're both turn based, but it'd be nice to get off the Tales Series. Xenosaga it is then :). The only issue with Xenosaga is I find it too cut-scene heavy.
---
#8SCAMaz0nPosted 7/23/2012 4:25:21 AM
Yuffie4life posted...
Of gameplay? Probably like ten hours through the entire series.

Are you trying to be funny? That's not true and not helpful at the slightest.
---
Pls spread this video to everyone you know who votes! The most important thing they need to know before Nov 6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcHXSDLfhhI
#9Breastmilkn_DipPosted 7/23/2012 5:38:55 AM
#7 | blue_man (Topic Creator) | Posted 7/22/2012 4:03:05 PM
The only issue with Xenosaga is I find it too cut-scene heavy.

Ironic, as I decided to fire up SOA on the DC at the weekend. I then got an eventual reminder as to why I stopped playing it all those years ago; the irony being that the game (once again) crashed/froze when I had the misfortune to trigger a cutscene whilst the game simultaneously attempted to initiate a battle.

Anyway, as mentioned, SOA's exploration using a flying ship was a cool gimmick but just about everything else about it is as passť now as it was then. Xenosaga and its sequels are far and away the better games.
---
lysa-tully.nom
#10towerofpowerPosted 7/23/2012 12:24:45 PM
I was okay with how cut scene heavy Xenosaga was, but I'm into those weird space operas. Even though there are a lot of long cut scenes, there's far more game play than what most people who hate the series realize.