Any good dark, gritty but simple games? Perhaps beat'em ups?

#1PedroMontanaPosted 2/11/2014 4:22:51 AM
I'm trying to get a friend of me into gaming. To my surprise, she prefers dark/gritty/bloody games and especially enjoyed Mortal Kombat Armageddon, House of the Dead 2 and CoD BO2.

However, she's new to gaming and FPS controlls are a bit much for her, so i thought beat'em ups (like Spyborgs, Zombie Revenge, Die Hard Arcade) might be good for her.

All i couuld come up with are The Bouncer and Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks (those are what i'm looking for, right? I never played either.)

Anything else? I think there was something from Konami.
---
No More Heroes
#2metaIsluggPosted 2/11/2014 9:25:40 AM
PedroMontana posted...
I think there was something from Konami.

Silent Hill
---
http://i.imgur.com/Go1k5Ya.gif
#3JB_HelmholtzPosted 2/11/2014 10:48:15 AM
PedroMontana posted...
I think there was something from Konami.

Nanobreaker?

Anyway, the PS2 games that best fit your request that I can think of are Drakengard and the God of War series. Other games to consider: Maybe the Manhunt series and Spartan: Total Warrior?
---
The venerable dead are waiting in my library to entertain me and relieve me from the nonsense of surviving mortals. - Samuel Davies
#4PedroMontana(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 11:10:48 AM
Drakengard, Spartan and GoW look like games i'll recommend to her.

Silent Hill is too slow and difficult (she's horrible at video game puzzles) and Manhunt has too much focus on stealth (which i think as a beginner she likely lacks the patience for).
---
No More Heroes
#5KingJames304Posted 2/11/2014 12:37:26 PM
Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance
---
PSN: ModelJames13
I hate locked saves!
#6GaullerPosted 2/11/2014 2:42:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7PedroMontana(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 2:58:50 PM
Oh, Beatdown looks cool. Now i really want to talk her into getting that.

Is it simple enough? There is supposed to be some kind of open city, i hope it's not too complicated to navigate.

Anyway, i played an hour of Spyborgs with her and she liked it a lot (despite the game being as mediocre as it gets), so my theory about classic beat'em ups being the right genre for her was correct.
---
No More Heroes
#8Ikilluha1Posted 2/11/2014 3:31:41 PM
Urban Reign
---
The official Mara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC: 0404-6173-2037 FS:Ghost Golurk/Phantump/Lampent
#9ajstcbPosted 2/12/2014 12:20:52 AM
The Warriors
Dynasty Warriors 3

I'm not great at the beat 'em up genre but enjoy these, controls easy to handle.
If i recall correctly, The Warriors has a 2 player co-op, with the second player being able to jump in & out of story line?
Dynasty Warriors 3 you can also co-op I believe if that's something interested in
---
"May the excessive force be with you"
~Sledge Hammer
#10PedroMontana(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 1:09:04 AM
Oh, yes, coop is appreciated as we often play together and she lives with another girl who's already into gaming.

Rockstar's Warriors movie game looks perfect.

I guess the best way to find out if Dynasty Warriors 3 is good for her would be playing some Samurai Warriors 3/Sengoku Basara 3/Warrior's Orochi 3/Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage 2 with her on my Wii U.
---
No More Heroes