Just got an Atari 2600.

#11Nukey_ShayPosted 5/23/2011 12:30:23 AM
That's a basic description of that cartridge's game variations. Commonly, the Game Select switch on the console is used to select the game variation (and additional functions might also be present in a given game...such as A/B difficulty settings). The Game Reset switch (or the controller button in some games) is then used to begin.

This is by no means an exact description of game functions...since how the console switches are implemented (and what type of controllers required) was something entirely up to the programmer who wrote the game.

Anyway...in Combat, there are no game levels...every game variation plays for 136.5 seconds (128 x 64 "jiffies"). This time frame was pretty common in the initial games made for the console. Long enough for competition between 2 players, short enough so the score counter doesn't have a chance to roll over ;-)

If you need instructions regarding controls for a specific game (or it's variations), check out the online game manuals at www.atariage.com (and maybe pick up a copy of Halo2600 while you are there).
#12MarioLinkNES(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 8:20:07 PM
Thank you. I have been playing E.T. right now. That game is kind of hard. I actually figured out most of it by myself, but had to eventually break down and look at the Faq.
---
I own Tandy, 2600, NES, NES v2, GB, SNES, N64, GBA, GBA SP, NGC, DS, DSL, Wii, Sega MS, SMS2, SG, SGv2 GG, SCD, S32X, SS, SDC, PS1, PS2, X-Box 360 and PC
#13BatmanBegins05Posted 6/2/2011 4:50:17 PM
Nice man. Atari is pretty awesome. Wow, ET? You are a patient man, that game is frustrating. Some more recommendations: River Raid, Tapper, and Taz; three of my personal picks.
---
Be sure to check out my new website!
www.itemshop.net
#14wp4everPosted 6/21/2011 11:49:59 PM
ET is hard if you do not understand it. Once you figure it out its not that bad in difficulty. I personally dislike the game but that's imo. Anyways, have you played/beat Adventure? That game is hard and confusing and I was never able to beat it. If someone could provide details or a walk through that would be great as the faq on gamefaqs is more like helpful hints and does not provide answers on how to beat it.
---
"Equal Rights For All, Special Privileges For None."
#15Nukey_ShayPosted 6/25/2011 10:04:10 PM
Object locations...game variation #1:
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/Atari2600/Adventure-Variation1.png

Object locations...game variation #2:
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/Atari2600/Adventure-Variation2.png

A quick solution for Adventure variation #2:

Enemies can move around while the game select screen is shown, so hold Left on the stick as you cycle through the variations, and press game reset. That way, you can immediately get into position to grab the bat as it swoops in and takes the sword.

Anyway...with bat in hand...

Move down 1 screen and to the right. The green dragon will show up very soon...so you can strike it with the bat-carried sword and take it out of the equasion. After killing the green dragon, carry the bat down 2 screens and wait a moment just below the yellow key (i.e. so that the carried bat is just below it). Move upward to allow the bat to pick up the yellow key, and carry it back to the yellow castle. Open it up, and carry the bat inside before dropping it. Because the bat picked up the key from underneath...it will continue to fly in an upward motion - effectively trapping the bat inside that castle for the duration of the game :-)

Go back and pick up the sword...and carry it to just below the white castle (use the F path to get there). Drop it there, and collect the magnet. Carrying it above you, take it to that panel screen where the green dragon lies dead. Move the magnet into the upper border of that screen for a moment, and the white key will float down to it.

Pick up the white key and go open the white castle with it. The yellow dragon should begin to chase you...so leave the white castle and he should follow you outside to where the sword you dropped awaits (killing the yellow dragon).

With the yellow dragon out of the way, pick up the sword from the side and shove it sideways though the wall on the screen where you originally aquired the magnet (doing so "warps" the sword directly to the black castle).

Go back up and over 1 screen to get the purple bridge. Bring it inside the white castle and use it to get the black key. Also shove the black key sideways into the wall you dropped the sword in.

Return to the dead green dragon's screen, and pick up the magnet again. Weave your way though the blue maze (M path) to reach the black castle. The sword and key should float down to you if you are carrying the magnet...so just move the objects offscreen for a second so that the black castle can be unlocked.

Drop the sword at the first screen inside the black castle. Grab the magnet, and carry it on your right. Go up into the dark rooms of the black castle...and move 2 screens to the right using the B path. Just wait by the border for a moment, and the red dragon will pounce! (because the offscreen magnet attracted the chalise too close to the border...and the dragon followed). With the red dragon now giving chase, move back to the first room and slay it.

Collect the chalise, and take it inside the yellow castle for the win.
#16wp4everPosted 7/7/2011 11:06:45 AM
OMG! Thank you Nukey_Shay! Such a simple thing to beat too after seeing the maps. My god do I feel dumb. So much wasted time.
---
"Equal Rights For All, Special Privileges For None."
#17PeopIe0013Posted 7/9/2011 1:43:04 PM
Very cool
---
BEAST
#18Emeraldsonic101Posted 7/14/2011 10:32:26 PM
Here's some games I recommend!

Berzerk
Q*Bert
Ms. Pac-Man
Jr. Pac-Man
Space Cavern.

Those games aren't too hard to find. Enjoy your 2600!

BTW: Is it an original woodgrained one or the smaller Junior model?
---
Not changing this sig until 3D Classics Q*Bert is released! Spread the word! Started 7-1-11
#19MarioLinkNES(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 10:19:25 AM
Emeraldsonic101 posted...
Here's some games I recommend!

Berzerk
Q*Bert
Ms. Pac-Man
Jr. Pac-Man
Space Cavern.

Those games aren't too hard to find. Enjoy your 2600!

BTW: Is it an original woodgrained one or the smaller Junior model?

It is a woodgrained model. I have been looking to get some other games for it. Q*Bert and Space Cavern look like they might be possibilities.
---
I own Tandy, 2600, NES, NES v2, GB, SNES, N64, GBA, GBA SP, NGC, DS, DSL, Wii, Sega MS, SMS2, SG, SGv2 GG, SCD, S32X, SS, SDC, PS1, PS2, X-Box, X-Box 360 and PC
#20MarioLinkNES(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 8:57:35 AM
BTW, thanks Nukey_Shay for the Adventure guide. I remember playing this game at a friends house long ago and having a hard time with it as well. The first part I got by myself, but the other version was a tad bit harder.
---
I own Tandy, 2600, NES, NES v2, GB, SNES, N64, GBA, GBA SP, NGC, DS, DSL, Wii, Sega MS, SMS2, SG, SGv2 GG, SCD, S32X, SS, SDC, PS1, PS2, X-Box, X-Box 360 and PC