This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eaglerulez's guides to building a computer Version 2.

#61regurgitation78Posted 8/20/2007 2:48:23 PMmessage detail
Zipflyzoom.com

It's zipzoomfly.com. Now you have to remake this topic to fix that error :p
---
Yay Shiriay Shokan!!
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6834/deathoveregurgibchwl1gn.gif
#62Eaglerulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2007 2:50:36 PMmessage detail
UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHYYYYYYYYYYY. V_V

Anyways I suggested this topic for a sticky, and here's what I wrote. Though with all these typos I may have to make a new topic.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=916373&topic=37644384

Each day the PC hardware board has seemingly hundreds of new topics asking for help about building computers. These topics are usually tedious as the users assisting the topic creator must explain a great deal of computer technology to the topic creator, and then they must offer advice and suggestions about what components the topic creator should purchase, where to buy said components, and finally how to assemble said components.

These topics can get so long that I remember a user (who had no knowledge whatsoever about building a computer) have a topic of his span up to 150 posts of purely experienced users explaining computer technology to him, and then telling him what components he should buy and how to assemble said components.

So to benefit new users seeking assistance with building computers I made a guide about building computers.This guide helps users seeking how to build a computer in a myriad of ways.

First off the guide explains how the components of a computer works, thus giving the reader an understanding of what they are trying to build. Doing this will help users who don't know anything about computers understand what they are building, so that they don't ask lengthy questions about computer technology which usually take up great sums of time for the experienced users to answer and fully explain.

Second the guide offers buying advice on what components the reader should purchase for their new computer. Most of the building a computer topics on the PC hardware board, ask what components the topic creator should purchase. By reading this guide the topic creator has the knowledge to pick out what components they should purchase. Since the topic creators can pick their own components they, merely have to make a topic checking for compatibility, and second opinions. For experienced users checking compatibility and giving second opinions only takes a marginal amount of time to answer, thus encouraging experienced users to offer their input, as they won't have to write an epic about computer technology to help the topic creator.

Finally the guide heavily encourages, and shows new users ways to do their own research on computer technology. With this new users no longer have to rely on experienced users to explain things to them, as they have the tools, and comprehension to learn for themselves.

Overall this is a very comprehensive guide, which has recieved the approval of most of the board's veterans, and has been a great help to many new users already, with a sticky I feel that this guide will only help more people, as it can be easily found and viewed 24/7.

I will admit that this guide uses a lot of links, this is because it is both impractical and impossible to explain some aspects of computer technology and assembly without visual aid, however if this guide is stickied I will personally make sure that the links do not change too much from when they where originally posted, and if they do I will unsticky the guide, and correct the changes.

---
www.actsofgord.com . Long live Green Earth. Escalators can't break, they can only temporarily become stairs. I Love GREEN TEA
#63chris1001 the sequelPosted 8/20/2007 3:08:12 PMmessage detail
After reading your guide I put this together.
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7967327&WishListTitle=PC2

What do you think?
If possible I'm going to try to save some money by looting parts off the old family computer(they got a new one a few months ago) Gonna try to bring over the hard drive which has XP on it to try to save on the cost of an OS, the RAM if it's compatible and the CD/DVD burner drive.

And thanks for the great guide.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#64Eaglerulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2007 3:57:36 PMmessage detail
Looks pretty good to me ^_^
---
www.actsofgord.com . Long live Green Earth. Escalators can't break, they can only temporarily become stairs. I Love GREEN TEA
#65chris1001 the sequelPosted 8/20/2007 3:58:54 PMmessage detail
Thanks ^_^
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#66EvilMarshmallowPosted 8/20/2007 3:59:06 PMmessage detail
tag.
---
Official topic MURDERER
#67Eaglerulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2007 10:05:18 AMmessage detail
Bump.
---
#68Eaglerulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2007 8:48:59 AMmessage detail
Bump ^_^
---
#69Hiryuu_Posted 8/22/2007 9:03:23 AMmessage detail
For instance an Athlon 64 X2 4200 with 128MB L1 Cache, 512MB L2 cache, at 2.2Ghz performs equally to an Athlon 64 X2 4000 with 128MB L1 cache, 1MB L2 Cache. And 2 Ghz.

A 128MB L1 Cache would be freaking insane.. a 512MB L2 Cache would also be insane. :p

You meant a 128KB L1 Cache and 512KB L2 Cache. You'd also double them, since Athlons have a separate L1 / L2 Cache for each core.. so it'd be 128KB x 2 for the L1 Cache and 512KB x 2 for the L2 Cache.

They would definitely not perform equally though, for Athlon 64s the extra cache overall doesn't help much due to the integrated memory controller, except maybe in encoding/editing/graphics rendering.. stuff that actually takes advantage of cache/memory.

Intel's processors like lots of cache memory, since they don't have a memory controller integrated into the processor itself and thus rely on the memory controller on the motherboard's northbridge which results in much higher memory latency. The huge L2 Cache helps though.

^ Pretty sure you can go research this stuff and explain it with more detail / more clearly / in a more simple way. I'm not too knowledgeable about CPU-related stuff like this. :D

Also, there is no X2 4000+ with 1MB of L2 Cache.. and it's clocked at 2.1GHz.

And that's about as far as I read.. too tired to read so many words. :[
---
M2N-SLi Deluxe | X2 4600+ | XMS2 2GB DDR2 675MHz | eVGA 7600GT [650/785] | 2x 7200.10 320GB |
http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/bells.htm
#70Eaglerulez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2007 3:22:05 PMmessage detail
Bah, when I wrote that part (which was a year ago) I coulda sworn their was an Athlon processor that had 1MB of L2 Cache, but was only clocked at 2Ghz, then their was the X2 4200, which had 512KB of L2 Cache, and is clocked at 2.2Ghz.

Maybe they changed it around, anyways I guess I am going to have to revise that part as I don't like the way it came out, and I forgot to fix that stupid typo.
---