This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Piracy strikes again, a fierce blow

#91silveryounglinkPosted 5/29/2012 7:55:54 AM
While I was reading that I saw this on the side bar

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/349130/sony-patent-stops-your-game-to-display-an-ad/
#92shreshtoPosted 5/29/2012 9:43:04 AM
funny.last time i checked,a certain pc exclusive just outsold 99 parcent of console exclusive in one week.IN THE JACK SPARROW LAND.GASP!
---
In the darkest age of call of stupidity and bottlefield,hard resets and serious sams are our last hope
#93The cranky hermitPosted 5/30/2012 5:44:49 PM
Labels are... alarmingly worthless at times when it comes to promotion.

That would be the band's call to make, not yours.

You can however call bull **** on companies that try to quantify "lost sales" with a solid figure.

No you can't, because companies don't do this. Notice how you simply refer to "companies" and are not, in fact, calling out any of them in particular? This is because you can't.

Cranky, how about you start providing some actual relevant examples, then you can continue acting like the authority on this that you seem to think you are. Using System Shock 2 or FS2 as examples? The games are THIRTEEN years old, FFS. Or are you that ignorant that you think the market and distribution is exactly these days as it was back then?

Their age and distribution method is entirely irrelevant. These games had quality, these games did not sell, therefore quality does not imply sales, and anyone claiming it does is wrong. QED.

World of Goo, which is the most relevant of your points, is still a stretch. The game came out nearly four years ago, didn't have a huge amount of advertising, and most importantly, the market was still a different place.

Those points are also irrelevant. There is no reason that its lack of advertising should be responsible for a high piracy rate - if anything, lack of advertising would cause fewer pirates to seek it. Nor was the market different in any way that would account for such a high piracy rate - World of Goo could be purchased every bit as conveniently as it could be pirated, save for the whole spending money bit.

Please try to only use relevant and timely arguments in the future.

Historical facts *are* relevant. Devs make business decisions based on historical fact, not on demagogics like "good products will sell."
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#94petran78Posted 5/31/2012 7:39:38 AM
The cranky hermit posted...

Those points are also irrelevant. There is no reason that its lack of advertising should be responsible for a high piracy rate - if anything, lack of advertising would cause fewer pirates to seek it. Nor was the market different in any way that would account for such a high piracy rate - World of Goo could be purchased every bit as conveniently as it could be pirated, save for the whole spending money bit.

if I follow your trend, everyone is a pirate, including yourself.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#95Orestes417Posted 5/31/2012 7:47:22 AM
Here I was thinking devs made business decisions based on cocaine they sniffed off a hooker's back. On a possibly related note, anyone find it amusing that CDProjekt sold about the same number of copies of TW2 as KoA did, DRM free mind you, and consider it a massive success?
---
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.