This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Picking Parts for Gaming Build

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Picking Parts for Gaming Build
4 years ago#1
Hello everyone. I am planning to build a gaming rig soon. Is there anything I can change to make the build cheaper or is it good to go? My budget is about $1000 but I can go a bit over. Thanks!

CPU - i5 3570k ($190)

Mobo - Asrock z77 Extreme 4 ($90 with cpu)

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($34)

RAM - Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600mhz ($50)

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB ($80)

GPU - EVA GeForce 560 Ti 01G-P3-1561-AR ($235)

Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced ($70)

PSU - Corsair Enthusiast Series 650W ATX12V / EPS12V ($81)

ODD - LG GH24NS90 ($18)

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium OEM ($100)
4 years ago#2
Looks good. You don't really need 650w unless you plan on adding another gpu or something.
4 years ago#3
Are you planning to overclock?

Slap a nice SSD in there and you'll be fine.
Current generation game count:
X360 - 139 / Wii - 20 / PS3 - 11 / 3DS - 3 / DS - 8 / PSP - 9 / PC - 51
4 years ago#4
you can get a 7850 and a 400w psu if you wanna get a faster card and save some money overall. looks good as is though.
"There is nothing new under EA." - Fony
3 years ago#5
Yes I do plan on overclocking. At the moment I do not find myself needing an SSD, plus the cheapest one I could find put me over my budget. I wanted that psu for a bit more flexibility since I will want to SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Would this 7850 be fine? It was the cheapest one I could find in stock that looked like it had nice reviews. Also, would I be able to crossfire the 7850 with this 650w psu in the future? Thanks again for the advice.
3 years ago#6
yea it's fine. also, this card draws as much power as a 5770, which runs fine in junker pre-built computers. a 500w could easily run a computer with 7850 crossfire and a sandybridge/ivybrdge cpu. easy.
"There is nothing new under EA." - Fony
3 years ago#7
Just wanted to post a follow up of my build and I got everything up and running! Thanks a lot for the great advice 60secondAssasin. Very satisfied as this card runs my games on high and up no problem.

I also had one more question, forgive my ignorance. The xfx 7850 I purchased requires two pci-e 6-pin connectors instead of one. The corsair 650w power supply came with two pci-e express power connectors, so I used them for this one card.

However I were to crossfire in the future, I would need a way to have more pci-e connectors for a second card regardless if it used one or two connectors. As of now I have none available. Would it be safe to use an adapter like this on one of the pci-e connectors so I can have an extra? The information that was with the card specifically stated not to use such an adapter so I was not too sure.
3 years ago#8
The cards I've bought have come with Molex to PCIe power adapters:

I'd recommend that over trying to power two cards with the same cables. I'm sure you can buy those adapters online if you don't already have one.
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Picking Parts for Gaming Build

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived