This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a reliable way to record system, audio on separate channels?

#1DistortoisePosted 5/27/2012 8:37:44 AM
Most recording software can easily record system audio and input devices separately, but what about separate system processes? Namely, I want to split video game audio from skype, steam chat or whatever else I use to hear other people talking.
---
www.youtube.com/user/MaximumBullfrog
Current Let's Play: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#2Distortoise(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 10:51:20 AM
Nobody got any ideas?
---
#3MarioLuigi10Posted 5/27/2012 11:24:02 AM(edited)
im also looking for a solution to this. do you mean like
Headphones1: game
Headphones2: skype

so when you record you can play and hear people on skype. but in the recording you can only hear the game audio? if so i also need a solution to this

EDIT: i explained this bad i think. disregard the part with headphones 1+2 i have no idea what i was thinking.
---
Steam/PSN: BTY2468
Currently Playing: Bioshock, Painkiller Black, Gmod, RedDead Redemption... Also doing the INSANITY Workout... woot
#4XjphPosted 5/27/2012 12:35:39 PM
If you have multiple audio output devices you could set each program to use a different device. Short of that I am unsure.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
#5Distortoise(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 1:00:25 PM(edited)
im also looking for a solution to this. do you mean like
Headphones1: game
Headphones2: skype

so when you record you can play and hear people on skype. but in the recording you can only hear the game audio? if so i also need a solution to this

EDIT: i explained this bad i think. disregard the part with headphones 1+2 i have no idea what i was thinking.

I'm ultimately looking for three channels:

1 with my own mic
1 with system audio sans skype or whatever is providing other people's chat
1 with the rest of system audio

It's the idea of splitting system audio into independent processes that eludes me. Most software I find considers output and input as separate channels with no possibility of further segregation.

If you have multiple audio output devices you could set each program to use a different device. Short of that I am unsure.

I was thinking of that, but I'd still need something that can select channels based on output device. The drastic solution is a separate computer entirely, but that creates a lot of room for something to get lost once the recording is finished and is generally kind of sloppy.
---
#6XjphPosted 5/28/2012 3:00:07 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "something that can select channels based on output device". Do you mean for the outputting program? At the very least most voice chat programs will let you choose what one to use, and if the game in question doesn't let you pick one just set your system default output to something different than what your voice chat is using.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
#7Distortoise(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 8:09:37 PM
Eventually came back to this. I've found that the best solution available to me is Virtual Audio Cables, which can generate multiple audio lines without actually needing additional audio cables or outputs. Now to learn how to manipulate it into splitting the system audio the way I want and digging around for the best companion recording software to go with it.
---
#8RajhinPosted 6/2/2012 8:22:09 PM
Dxtory can do something like this. You can record game audio on one channel, microphone audio on another, etc. I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, though.
---
"i see a few maggots came to feed on this topic's corpse." - Fony