This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First PC build was a success! Post-build questions...

#1KnetamightPosted 5/29/2012 6:54:33 PM
So I just built my first PC, it was surprisingly easier than I expected. Here's my build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge (currently OC'd to 4.0GHz)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB (2 x 4GB) @ 1333 (x 2) - 16GB total
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: Radeon HD 5770 (temporary until I order my new video cards this week)
SSD: Crucial m4 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200RPMs
PSU: OCZ ZS 750W
Case: Rosewill Challenger

Some questions though:

1. I overclocked my i5 2500k Sandy Bridge to 4.0GHz. Too much? Not enough? The CPU is averaging between 29 and 30 degrees. I've never overclocked before, so I could use some advice.

2. I could really use some good free anti-virus and spyware software. I've been using AVG, but someone recommended Avast, anyone have a better recommendation?

3. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on an 128GB SSD, what should I typically have on my SSD? I plan on putting my Adobe Master Collection on it, I have about 93GB left after making some recommended tweaks.

4. I scrapped some parts from my 6 year old XPS410 to save a few bucks. I took the DVD-RW which works fine, my X-Fi Sound Blaster for surround sound and a 16-in-1 Media Card Reader. I installed the Media Card Reader into the case, but I don't see anywhere on the motherboard I could plug it into. I heard that I should be plugging it into the USB, but it doesn't fit. Do they make any kind of adapters?

5. I currently have a Radeon HD 5770 in my build, it's from my XPS, but I plan on buying dual Radeon 6850s this week. They're about $135 each after rebates, I want to run 3 monitors across + my Wacom Cintiq. Does it matter if the PCI-E slots are different? One is 16x and the next is 8x.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if it's a lot, my first build is overwhelming. I'm open to all other advice for a brand new PC.
---
bossbattles.org - Boss Battles: Gaming for a greater cause
#2ipwnu713Posted 5/29/2012 6:57:40 PM
Knetamight posted...
1. I overclocked my i5 2500k Sandy Bridge to 4.0GHz. Too much? Not enough? The CPU is averaging between 29 and 30 degrees. I've never overclocked before, so I could use some advice.

Pretty sure that's a safe temp, but I'm not expert in OCing.

2. I could really use some good free anti-virus and spyware software. I've been using AVG, but someone recommended Avast, anyone have a better recommendation?

MSE and Malwarebytes

3. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on an 128GB SSD, what should I typically have on my SSD? I plan on putting my Adobe Master Collection on it, I have about 93GB left after making some recommended tweaks.

Programs and most played games.

4. I scrapped some parts from my 6 year old XPS410 to save a few bucks. I took the DVD-RW which works fine, my X-Fi Sound Blaster for surround sound and a 16-in-1 Media Card Reader. I installed the Media Card Reader into the case, but I don't see anywhere on the motherboard I could plug it into. I heard that I should be plugging it into the USB, but it doesn't fit. Do they make any kind of adapters?

Sorry don't know.

5. I currently have a Radeon HD 5770 in my build, it's from my XPS, but I plan on buying dual Radeon 6850s this week. They're about $135 each after rebates, I want to run 3 monitors across + my Wacom Cintiq. Does it matter if the PCI-E slots are different? One is 16x and the next is 8x.

Sorry, again, don't know.
---
Dell Inspiron 620: 3.3GHz i3 2120 - Sapphire HD 7750 - 4GB RAM - 1TB HDD - HP w19 & eMachines E19T6W 1440x900 Monitors
#3iscareu13Posted 5/29/2012 7:10:16 PM
Knetamight posted...

These are safe idle temps, but the test is during stress testing. You will need to stress your CPU and check it's temps then. There are a few different stress tests you can use, but I believe Prime95 is a popular free one.

Use any of the following:

Pick one:
Avira
Avast!
MSE

Pick one:
MalewareBytes
SUPERANTISpyware

Pick one:
Windows Firewall
Commodo
Zone-Alarm

Popular combinations are:
MSE + MalewareBytes + Windows Firewall (Easy, user friendly, fast, etc.)
Avira + SUPERANTISpyware + Commodo (More complicated, but offers more control)

Install all of these no matter what on your browser:
Ad-Block
NoScript
Web of Trust

Anything you boot on a regular basis. The Adobe Master Collection is a good choice. SSDs don't grant too much gaming performance (normally only faster loading times), so I would avoid wasting space on your SSD with games.

Can we get a link to the Media Card Reader? What kind of connector does it have? Where did you unplug it from in the XPS?

You should use the 16x. Normally the 8x is used for crossfiring/SLIing.
---
I.aM.mE - Inspire Motivate Energize - ABDC 6 - Since 1/5/2011
MWC - Mos Wanted Crew - ABDC 7 - Since 3/15/2012
#4megamanfreakXDPosted 5/29/2012 7:39:54 PM
ninite.com
---
Boy, I wish there was someone here to stop me from ****ing all these kids! - Burgess
#5DiehardFFv2Posted 5/29/2012 7:41:59 PM
With your idle temps being so low, I would assume you'll be just fine. 4.0 is actually a very modest OC with an after market cooler installed. You could very easily boost it to 4.5 if you wanted to.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/29/2012 7:45:55 PM
Knetamight posted...

Load temps?
Idle doesn't matter at all for anything.

You can probably hit 4.5 safely.

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Whatever programs you frequently open and close and generally use. Mostly small essential programs, maybe a really frequently played game.

Did you plug it into the USB pins on the motherboard?(usually at the bottom)
You'll have to figure out what kind of port your media card reader uses, and then find that port on your motherboard. It's almost always the internal USB pins, though.

Not really. x8 is sufficient as long as it's 2.0 or better, unless you're running SLI 680s.(and even then, x8 is probably fine)
If your board isn't CF certified, though, it may not work well.(or at all)
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#7Snuckie7Posted 5/29/2012 8:01:03 PM
Why do you want to get CF 6850? Those are last gen cards; if you're willing to spend $270 get a 7850 instead. It may be slightly less powerful, but it has less power consumption, generates less heat, and overclocks great. Single cards also generally have less issues than CF ones.
---
Dell XPS L501x | Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz | NVIDIA GT 420M OC @ 700/900 | 4GB 1333 RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
#8Knetamight(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2012 10:53:34 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Did you plug it into the USB pins on the motherboard?(usually at the bottom)
You'll have to figure out what kind of port your media card reader uses, and then find that port on your motherboard. It's almost always the internal USB pins, though.

Yeah I tried that, it has the same number of pins (9), but the plastic is a different shape. I know that sounds incredibly lame, but that's the best way for me to explain it haha.

Why do you want to get CF 6850? Those are last gen cards; if you're willing to spend $270 get a 7850 instead. It may be slightly less powerful, but it has less power consumption, generates less heat, and overclocks great. Single cards also generally have less issues than CF ones.

If I only buy one 7850, I won't be able to Eyefinity 3 monitors.
---
bossbattles.org - Boss Battles: Gaming for a greater cause
#9Snuckie7Posted 5/30/2012 3:19:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10DiehardFFv2Posted 5/30/2012 3:22:19 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353518-33-seeking-advice-triple-monitor-display-setup
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB