This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got hacked in Diablo 3. What security software should I download?

#1FiendingHardPosted 5/29/2012 6:54:53 PM
I got the Authenticator first and foremost. I currently use Avira for antivirus which hasn't given me any problems for the past 2 years.

Besides the built in firewall and other software Windows OS includes, I don't have anything. I don't know if my account getting hacked was a flaw in Blizzard's security or my carelessness (I don't go on untrusted websites or torrent or stuff like that) so I just want to improve my computers security.

What programs do you guys recommend?
---
stripped of tonnes of features like LAN support to appease gaming 2.0 business design models and pie graphs so Robert Kotick can renovate his kitchen.
#2ForcefulBootPosted 5/29/2012 7:14:12 PM
avast is a good free antivirus

you can run that as well with malwarebytes for dual protection.
---
gigabyte ma790fxt-ud5p, AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, Patriot DDR3, Radeon 4890, Powerbird 900 watt
#3LordSeiferPosted 5/29/2012 7:17:51 PM(edited)
losing your diablo stuff has nothing to do with an anti virus,
the authenticator should have you covered. its a problem with the game
---
^ this
#4Shadow EdgePosted 5/29/2012 7:19:26 PM
Antivirus: Avast/MSE
Antimalware: Malwarebytes
Firewall: Comodo
---
I have this sig just to get past the "no all caps" error when my message is just numbers or an acronym.
#5iscareu13Posted 5/29/2012 7:19:54 PM
Diablo 3 has become a complete hackfest, because Blizzard has a flaw in their system that they can't seem to fix. Thousands of players were/are getting hacked, and according to what I have read (I don't play D3), it is on Blizzard's end 99% of the time due to said flaw. I don't know if this flaw was fixed yet...

As for security software, I posted this in another topic. All of the following are free:

Pick one:
Avira
Avast!
MSE

Pick one:
MalewareBytes
SUPERANTISpyware

Pick one:
Windows Firewall
Commodo
Zone-Alarm

Popular combinations are:
MSE + MalewareBytes + Windows Firewall (Easy, user friendly, fast, etc.)
Avira + SUPERANTISpyware + Commodo (More complicated, but offers more control)

Install all of these no matter what on your browser:
Ad-Block
NoScript
Web of Trust

---
I.aM.mE - Inspire Motivate Energize - ABDC 6 - Since 1/5/2011
MWC - Mos Wanted Crew - ABDC 7 - Since 3/15/2012
#6iscareu13Posted 5/29/2012 7:27:22 PM(edited)
LordSeifer posted...
losing your diablo stuff has nothing to do with an anti virus,
the authenticator should have you covered. its a problem with the game

According to what I have read (including an official post from Blizzard), the authenticator does nothing to protect you from the current attacks in D3. In fact, the authenticator doesn't even work for D3 or SC2.

EDIT:
Before I get blasted saying the above is wrong, I did read this somewhere, but I am having problems refinding it. Maybe someone can prove the above right/wrong?
---
I.aM.mE - Inspire Motivate Energize - ABDC 6 - Since 1/5/2011
MWC - Mos Wanted Crew - ABDC 7 - Since 3/15/2012
#7LordSeiferPosted 5/29/2012 7:23:59 PM(edited)
i dont even know what it is, i dont have the game, but what i just read from some people who got hacked was the following.

did u have an authenticator (not saying it to smite you just asking because blizzard says an authenticator prevents it 100%)
also, just contact blizzard, they will rollback your char
blizzard says not one reported ticket has had an authenticator attached to it

I still think its just a bug that Blizzard is oblivious too that randomly deletes all your stuff

none of it makes sense

1. why would they target [that guy] when there are PLENTY of level 60s now
[...]
3. alts never get hit, its always only one character on the account
4. every single one is the same. ie its one character who loses all his items. there has never been any variation, ie a character has never been deleted, or anything like that

---
^ this
#8Shadow EdgePosted 5/29/2012 7:23:09 PM
I wouldn't really recommend Zone Alarm. It's a lot more resoure heavy than Comodo, though it did a better job of remembering actions.
---
I have this sig just to get past the "no all caps" error when my message is just numbers or an acronym.
#9FiendingHard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2012 7:28:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations. Much better atmosphere here than the Diablo 3 community where people are basically like "LOL UR FAULT U DUMBASS, STOP DOWNLOADING PR0N"
---
stripped of tonnes of features like LAN support to appease gaming 2.0 business design models and pie graphs so Robert Kotick can renovate his kitchen.
#10CatToyPosted 5/29/2012 7:28:52 PM
iscareu13 posted...
In fact, the authenticator doesn't even work for D3 or S2.

The authenticator does work for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. It's the call in authenticator specifically that doesn't work with Diablo 3.
---
Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?
http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/338862/