This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC games like Zelda/Metroid...

#11DiehardFFv2Posted 5/30/2012 3:03:26 PM(edited)
x_stevey_x posted...
Szymaa posted...
You can steal a lot of the old-school Zelda and Metroid games now.

wot

Way to make yourself look like a tool and a fool. Emulation is perfectly fine so long as you own both a copy of the game and the console.
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#12Gauge_TheoryPosted 5/30/2012 3:15:41 PM
From what you're describing, I guess you're looking for Metroidvania like games. There's quite a large list here

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Metroidvania

but I can't vouch for how good the games on that list are.

A few i'd recommend are:

Aztaka - Game is split into stages, story is linear. But you there are plenty of places to go in each stage and you can backtrack to get hidden items when you get new abilities like the double jump. There's also a RPG levelling system.

Aquaria - This is the underwater equivalent of Metroid. While I believe you have to do the areas in a specific order due to the power-ups you get, the map in this game is absolutely huge. The combat also definitely requires skill for this one.

Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City - Linear stories, but lots of room to explore. Levelling up system and areas that are only accessible with certain upgrades. Combat is excellent if you have a controller.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - This is the spaceship equivalent? of Metroid. Again, you have to do the areas in a certain order but there's plenty to explore. Combat is interesting since there's lots of different weapons.

Wonder Boy in Monster World - Yes it's a mega-drive (or genesis) game, but it is available on steam. Linear story but a few areas which you can explore, like under the sea. Combat in the game is pretty easy, but I was never able to beat the last boss one.

There's a few more but I can't remember them right now.

I wish there were more games in this genre.
#13tigerex777Posted 5/30/2012 3:27:18 PM
I recommend Aquaria.. it's just like Super Metroid but underwater.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#14neroAngeloPosted 5/30/2012 3:29:18 PM
ElDudorino posted...
jake-sf posted...
I had no idea Darksiders was a Zelda-like game. I heard about it before, but I filtered it among so many as a modern game I had no interest in. I'll have to take another look.

In the first dungeon you find a bladed boomerang, and you need it to activate far-off levers and stuff to progress through the dungeon and get keys and such. To beat the boss of the dungeon you have to pick up these unlit bombs and throw them at the boss while it flies by, then aim your boomerang through a lit torch and onto the bomb so it ignites and blows up. Later on you get a horse and you can shoot at enemies while you ride by on your horse and explore little hidden areas to try and find trophies you can sell to buy new combos and stuff. It's pretty awesome. But most people gave it kinda middling reviews so maybe I'm the crazy one.

I think DS would have gotten much better reviews if it offered even the slightest bit of challenge. Even on the hardest difficulty, the enemies just stood there while you killed them. Hopefully they improved the AI in DS2.
---
PSWii360 - This is how I triforce http://i51.tinypic.com/vctnom.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 8800 GT 512 MB
#15ElDudorinoPosted 5/30/2012 8:26:00 PM
Yeah, that's true about the difficulty. I generally play all games on the hardest difficulty right off the bat because I want a challenge, and Darksiders really isn't very tough. I did die against a couple of the bosses while trying to figure out their patterns, and some of the big enemies do enough damage that I had to play it kinda safe with them to avoid getting hit, but they really needed to do more to keep me on my toes. Darksiders on the hardest difficulty is probably about as tough as the original Devil May Cry on Normal difficulty (Difficulty level 2 out of 4, basically).

But come on, world. Remember when you first get your horse and you go back through the area where you had to run from a giant sandworm and he chases after you again and you shoot down his throat while riding away from him? SO AWESOME!
#16sfcalimariPosted 5/30/2012 8:32:52 PM
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, though they're on consoles. Dark Souls I think is supposed to be ported to pc though?
---
things that work interest us less than things that don't.
--Adam Gopnik
#17TacoHunterPosted 5/30/2012 8:43:11 PM
How about Terraria, the Binding of Isaac, Bastion, or Psychonauts?

Taking a quick look through my Steam library those 4 jump out at me as being good action/adventure games.

Also, I'm really happy to hear that this kind of stuff is really popular still. I hope it says popular for a while. I'm actually designing a Metroidvania game right now. I probably won't be done with it until next year...but I'm hoping to price it cheap and make a few bucks off it. But indie game development is hell unless you're a big name or win an IGF award.
---
I once destroyed the world and rebuilt it in my image. You know what I learned from that? That I don't like myself very much.
#18Z2488Posted 5/30/2012 8:47:53 PM
Ys: Oath in Felghana is a good action-RPG that's more in the style of something you would normally find on the consoles. It's much more linear and more action-y than Zelda, though. Another game in the series, Ys Origin, is due out on Steam tomorrow.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - Sapphire 5850 crossfire - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
#19PolarisPosted 5/30/2012 8:48:33 PM
Another good free one is Gun Girl 2.

It's a bit more combat heavy than most Metroidvanias but the combat is also more fun than most Metroidvanias. It's a free roaming side scroller with two parallel questlines, but the game does a pretty good job of masking its linearity.
#20DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/30/2012 8:49:41 PM(edited)
Tried the Phantasy Star games?

Also, Capsized is pretty awesome.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!