This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Borderlands.

#11JKatarnPosted 5/30/2012 5:19:25 PM(edited)
SmoboHash posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...
60secondAssasin posted...
it's not a pretty port job though..

Ouch, are you saying I should go w/ the consoles?

No. Borderlands is a great game on PC, even with a clunky menu.

This - it is far from a bad port job, true the menus are clunky and the default field of view is console-tight (though you can change this within WillowEngine.ini I believe, though there's some glitch with sprinting/using vehicles so I never bothered), but the textures are much cleaner and of course the access to higher resolutions. One bummer is that due to the graphics scheme they use for the game, forcing AA causes a substantial performance hit , though I have not yet tried the fxaa option in the control panel of the newer Nvidia drivers. Oh, and (provided you have a decent machine) the game runs at 60 FPS on the PC while I'm fairly certain it's stuck at 30 on the consoles.

The game itself is an absolute blast in co-op, and each character class is fun to play with unique talent trees and abilities, weapon skill modifiers (weapon skill increases as you use a particular type of weapon), and more unique guns than you can imagine, including a shotgun that shoots mini-rockets rather than pellets, a rocket launcher that fires a spread of 5 acid rockets, six-shooters with flaming munitions etc etc etc. It's easily one of my top 3 FPS, and one of the few modern FPS games with some personality and humor, that actually tries something different.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#12razorracerPosted 5/30/2012 5:29:46 PM(edited)
Borderlands is a great game to play with friends or other people. As a single player game, it is still fun, but you will probably get burned out much quicker than in multiplayer. The RPG mechanics are pretty good; skill trees are pretty detailed and the ranked equipment drops make grinding for loot a bit addicting. It is a great game, but I would wait for another sale. I got the Game of the Year Edition on Steam for $7.50, but there have been many other sales for the game, some going as low as $4.99 for the Game of the Year Edition. Don't just look to Steam for sales, as it is a Steamworks game and requires Steam no matter where you get it from. Look at other sites like Amazon and Gamersgate for sales, too. Also, the Steam Summer Sale is coming up, so you most likely get the GOTY Edition for $5 or $7.50 there. Word of advice: if you plan on playing multiplayer, get a headset so that you can coordinate with your partners better. I'm getting a Turtle Beach P11 for that purpose.

EDIT: Your computer should run Borderlands, no problem. The CPU has a good speed, and you have the same graphics card as me (well, it's a 6770, though, which is still the same card), and the game runs beautifully on my A6-3600.
---
Proud PS Vita and 3DS owner
PSN ID: machismo83 Steam ID: razorracer83
#13EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2012 7:04:28 PM
Alright guys, I think I will wait but will most likely get it when the time comes although I would mostly want this for the singleplayer experience, any more input on that?
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#14cody4783Posted 5/30/2012 7:07:50 PM
Single player isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure you miss out on the insane mad-dashes to find loot, and scrambling to fight over enemies; As does it get a *bit* daunting to play solo...But at the end of the day, it's a completely different experience and you get to make your own pacing, and play slower and more tactical.

I've played a decent bit of both (Have around 65 hours into it, split about 60/40 Multi/Single); It's worth it either way. And the "less" loot you get in Solo is balanced by not having to divide it up constantly.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/cody48.png
#15alhvatrPosted 5/30/2012 7:35:04 PM
when you get Borderlands, make sure you get this too. http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874
#16EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 1:49:40 AM
Alright cool, thank you all for the input.
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD