This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mac vs. PC

#51SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 5:01:15 PM
DreDayy posted...
who the hell uses factory calibration as an argument for why a monitor is better for photo and video editing because if you are doing? You will have to buy one for an imac as well since you will always calibrate your own monitor always.

There's a good amount of people who don't buy professional calibration tools. 99% of the people buying a Catleap will probably never get a calibration tool, and there's the small niche of editors who care enough for a good monitor but not enough for their own calibration.

Regardless, you still lose a lot of customization options with the Catleap. Actually, I just looked it up (since I didn't care much for the Korean panels and didn't follow them), and it looks like you can't calibrate it at all except through the GPU, which is lulz. And remember, there's always the fun chance of dead pixels/dust/backlight bleeding.

DreDayy posted...
and if you dont want to buy a calibrator head on over to tft central or prad and find a profile,

If only it were that simple. There's a good reason why there's no perfect profile that gets shipped with monitors and why calibration tools exist.
---
What's a sig?
#52elite5472Posted 6/1/2012 5:02:51 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
elite5472 posted...
So what? You save $300-400 by building your own computer. That's hardly news, and not even an apple-only issue.

It's not the saving money part I'm talking about. That's just what this guy decided to argue about. I just said that iMacs use laptop components which is laughable since its supposed to be a desktop.

Yeah, because this desktop is slapped on the back of a monitor that is not even thicker than the average.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather build my own pc (a $2500 monstrosity with 3 $700 ips monitors), but the iMac is not overpriced, and not a bad product, just not a gaming computer. Processor, memory and GPU is not everything a computer is, and the iMac offers things that many will gladly pay for.

Same thing with every other apple product. Don't like it? Don't buy it. It's probably not your thing if you have to go out of your way to built a computer that completely misses the point of the iMac and call it "better." Some people are not willing to take the risk on obscure brands for their IPS panel, specially people that can just get ultrasharps or apple cinema displays with a fraction of their monthly salary.
---
El Psy Congroo
#53ReeGPosted 6/1/2012 5:11:30 PM
davidd posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
davidd posted...
Mac Pro's finally seeing an update soon... now that there are actually, you know, new Xeons to update to.

Absolutely no excuse to continue selling it for a $5000 price point starting.

Starts at $2500, not $5000. And that's the typical starting price for these kinds of systems (hint: they're not designed for typical home users)

Ya and that $2500 Mac Pro is completely inferior to the build I just put together yet costs nearly 3X more
---
I7 2700K | 8GB GSkill Ripjaws | GTX 560TI | GB-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | PS3, 360, Wii, 3DS, PSP
#54DreDayyPosted 6/1/2012 5:11:59 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...
DreDayy posted...
who the hell uses factory calibration as an argument for why a monitor is better for photo and video editing because if you are doing? You will have to buy one for an imac as well since you will always calibrate your own monitor always.

There's a good amount of people who don't buy professional calibration tools. 99% of the people buying a Catleap will probably never get a calibration tool, and there's the small niche of editors who care enough for a good monitor but not enough for their own calibration.

Regardless, you still lose a lot of customization options with the Catleap. Actually, I just looked it up (since I didn't care much for the Korean panels and didn't follow them), and it looks like you can't calibrate it at all except through the GPU, which is lulz. And remember, there's always the fun chance of dead pixels/dust/backlight bleeding.

DreDayy posted...
and if you dont want to buy a calibrator head on over to tft central or prad and find a profile,

If only it were that simple. There's a good reason why there's no perfect profile that gets shipped with monitors and why calibration tools exist.

catleaps do come with OSD if you buy the proper one.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Sargeras/Nastrodamous
Thomas Edward Patrick Brady III is the best of all time.
#55SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 5:18:20 PM(edited)
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Of course I've heard about cat leaps before this topic. I mentioned one several posts back. I actually have one ordered at the moment so I'll come back and tll you about the quality. Everything I've heard from owners has been resoundingly positive.

You mentioned it after someone else did. You also said "I'm sure you can find a monitor for less than $600 no": you were vague by not mentioning a specific monitor, and the $600 is random since it's in the middle of what the Korean panels and the Cinema Display costs. It's natural to assume you've never heard of the Catleap.

_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Everything has a chance of dead pixels.

The U2711 comes with basically a 0% chance of dead pixels. The Cinema Display/iMacs too, I believe.

Compare 0% with the 15%-40% rates I see with the Catleaps.

_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
And it still stands that the components I chose are far far better than the iMac for either cheaper or the same price.

We're talking about the computer as a whole. Who cares if the GPU is better if you won't be using it? If you want a gaming rig, you'll build a gaming rig, and if you want an iMac-type computer, you'll get an iMac-type computer. Are $10K servers bad because you can build a gaming computer for $1K? I clearly said to build an equivalent computer to the iMac, not one that's better for gaming.

_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
It's not the saving money part I'm talking about. That's just what this guy decided to argue about. I just said that iMacs use laptop components which is laughable since its supposed to be a desktop.

You ended up responding and talking about the money, so don't try to squirm your way out of it. Also, saying whether something's a "laptop" part or "desktop" part is stupid. In the end, it comes down to their performance. The iMac's CPU is probably equivalent to an i5-2400 (a desktop component). While it has a laptop GPU, you can find equivalent performance desktop parts. But don't forget a laptop GPU's one huge advantage: lower power consumption.

So, since you said the iMac is bad, prove that it's bad by building an equivalent desktop that is cheaper. Otherwise, how can you say that it's bad if it ends up costing you the same or more?
---
What's a sig?
#56SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 5:19:36 PM
DreDayy posted...

Okay. It's such a pain how there's so many models to sort through :/

I bet they cost more though.
---
What's a sig?
#57DiehardFFv2Posted 6/1/2012 5:24:47 PM
DreDayy posted...

Okay. It's such a pain how there's so many models to sort through :/

I bet they cost more though.

About 370. It also isn't very hard to sort through the models unless your IQ is lower than 70.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#58SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 5:27:26 PM
Being a pain =/= being hard.
---
What's a sig?
#59JustPlainEvilPosted 6/1/2012 5:29:43 PM
dual boot osx and windows. give 0 phucks,
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965, Sapphire HD6850, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W7.
#60DiehardFFv2Posted 6/1/2012 5:31:23 PM
Being a pain =/= being hard.

Semantics. It was a painless, easy process that anyone who's not mentally incompetent could replicate.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB