This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can my old PC handle these games?

#1TheOinkanatorPosted 5/30/2012 11:10:48 PM(edited)
The games in question are some low demand indie games from Steam. Such as The Biding of Issac, Bastion, Limbo, Braid, and some others.

My setup is a 2006 V2 Premier Intel(R), Pentium (R), 4 CPU 3.40GHz 3.39GHz, 500MB of RAM, 180GB in total. Running Windows XP 32 bit.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm a bit uncertain when it comes to running PC games.

Edit: Forgot the graphics card; it's a VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP.
---
Viewer discretion advised
#2JKatarnPosted 5/30/2012 11:11:23 PM
You're most likely going to need at least a gig of RAM for the games on the list, and I'm assuming you have an older Intel HD integrated graphics or something along those lines, which probably won't play nice with those newer games - you could always throw a $50 graphics card in the machine (assuming it has a PCI-E slot, or track down a somewhat more expensive AGP card if it doesn't), another gig or two of RAM and you'd be set to go.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#3Shadow EdgePosted 5/30/2012 11:34:08 PM
I would have to say no. : /
---
I have this sig just to get past the "no all caps" error when my message is just numbers or an acronym.
#4TheOinkanator(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 2:37:52 PM
JKatarn posted...
You're most likely going to need at least a gig of RAM for the games on the list, and I'm assuming you have an older Intel HD integrated graphics or something along those lines, which probably won't play nice with those newer games - you could always throw a $50 graphics card in the machine (assuming it has a PCI-E slot, or track down a somewhat more expensive AGP card if it doesn't), another gig or two of RAM and you'd be set to go.

Thanks for the advice. I did some more digging and found the PC has two slots to support DDR SDRAM with a max of 2.0 GB. As for the graphics card, I only have a AGP slot.

Can anyone recommend some good AGP graphic card for ~100$ or so?

That actually brings up another question; should I bother upgrading this PC or save money to a whole new one?
---
Viewer discretion advised
#5Shadow EdgePosted 5/31/2012 4:56:08 PM
It's not worth it at all. AGP cards went out of fashion around 2006. If you find one, it WILL be very expensive. I think the best AGP card out there is the HD4850.

Honestly just replace your computer. It's not worth salvaging. Finding the particular RAM you need will be both difficult and expensive as well.
---
I have this sig just to get past the "no all caps" error when my message is just numbers or an acronym.
#6link510Posted 5/31/2012 4:57:54 PM
Shadow Edge posted...
It's not worth it at all. AGP cards went out of fashion around 2006. If you find one, it WILL be very expensive. I think the best AGP card out there is the HD4850.

Honestly just replace your computer. It's not worth salvaging. Finding the particular RAM you need will be both difficult and expensive as well.

You're thinking of the 3850, I think, I don't believe they made a 4850 AGP. They did make a 4670 though.
#7EvilGiygasPosted 5/31/2012 4:58:05 PM
Shadow Edge posted...

Not really very expensive or hard to find...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007850&IsNodeId=1&name=AGP%204X%2f8X

I personally don't think it's worth throwing money away on that machine though.
---
Current generation game count:
X360 - 139 / Wii - 20 / PS3 - 11 / 3DS - 3 / DS - 8 / PSP - 9 / PC - 51
#8ihumpmypillow89Posted 5/31/2012 5:05:57 PM
That actually brings up another question; should I bother upgrading this PC or save money to a whole new one?

I wouldn't bother with it.
---
Oh god there's not enough liquor and therapy in the world to undue that.
#9Shadow EdgePosted 5/31/2012 5:14:01 PM
EvilGiygas posted...
Shadow Edge posted...

Not really very expensive or hard to find...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007850&IsNodeId=1&name=AGP%204X%2f8X

I personally don't think it's worth throwing money away on that machine though.

Expensive relative to PCI-e cards at least. Just look at your link. $110 for a 4670? The equivalents would be something like GT 240 which costs half of that. You can get a 7750 for the same price which is about twice faster.
---