This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have I destroyed my PC?

#1GietzyPosted 5/31/2012 7:09:59 AM
It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!! Within 1 second I picked it up and turned it upside down to drain it. Everything was off (and had been for about 4 hours. I'm going to leave it to dry for 12 hrs. Is there any chance it isn't ff***ed? Damn! I only built it a year ago and it is highly specked!
---
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
PSN/Live/Steam: Willavom
#2kidersxPosted 5/31/2012 7:11:44 AM
Gietzy posted...
It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!! Within 1 second I picked it up and turned it upside down to drain it. Everything was off (and had been for about 4 hours. I'm going to leave it to dry for 12 hrs. Is there any chance it isn't ff***ed? Damn! I only built it a year ago and it is highly specked!

It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!!

on its side, open and I spilled water in it

That's nightmare fuel.
---
Athlon II 630, HD6870, 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
#3DiehardFFv2Posted 5/31/2012 7:14:17 AM

Let it dry for more than 12 hours. Since you can't exactly submerge it in rice, I would suggest leaving it off for closer to 48 hours to be safe. Having your case completely open and a fan blowing air on it probably wouldn't hurt either.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#4ZeraphLordSPosted 5/31/2012 7:15:20 AM
fill your computer with rice
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#5Gietzy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 7:17:27 AM
DiehardFFv2 posted...

Let it dry for more than 12 hours. Since you can't exactly submerge it in rice, I would suggest leaving it off for closer to 48 hours to be safe. Having your case completely open and a fan blowing air on it probably wouldn't hurt either.

I didn't want to fan it as I thought it might make the water run. With it upside down it is more likely to drop dry. As I see it speed of drying doesn't matter as the components are already wet. Being wet for 4 hours is the same as being wet for 1 minute.
---
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
#6DiehardFFv2Posted 5/31/2012 7:20:42 AM
Gietzy posted...
DiehardFFv2 posted...

I didn't want to fan it as I thought it might make the water run. With it upside down it is more likely to drop dry. As I see it speed of drying doesn't matter as the components are already wet. Being wet for 4 hours is the same as being wet for 1 minute.

A fan would help with the drying process much in the way that air dryers used in bathrooms operate. Either way, I wouldn't turn it on any sooner than 2 days from now and if you can, remove your components and putting them in rice would help a bunch as well.
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#7brotrrwinnerPosted 5/31/2012 7:21:37 AM(edited)
The point is to let it dry completely before turning it back on
---
September 21st, 2008
Never forget
#8AwesomdorPosted 5/31/2012 7:24:41 AM
Lol
---
I'm a guy.
i3-2120 3.3GHz_6850 Sapphire_8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
#9Gietzy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 7:34:27 AM
Awesomdor posted...
Lol

So cruel!
---
#10tspirtle2Posted 5/31/2012 7:41:07 AM
My understanding is that electronic components can get wet as long as they're turned off. Let it dry completely (like others suggested, use a fan) and let it sit for an ample amount of time before trying to turn it on.<br />