This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have I destroyed my PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have I destroyed my PC?

User Info: Gietzy

Gietzy
4 years ago#1
It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!! Within 1 second I picked it up and turned it upside down to drain it. Everything was off (and had been for about 4 hours. I'm going to leave it to dry for 12 hrs. Is there any chance it isn't ff***ed? Damn! I only built it a year ago and it is highly specked!
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
PSN/Live/Steam: Willavom

User Info: kidersx

kidersx
4 years ago#2
Gietzy posted...
It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!! Within 1 second I picked it up and turned it upside down to drain it. Everything was off (and had been for about 4 hours. I'm going to leave it to dry for 12 hrs. Is there any chance it isn't ff***ed? Damn! I only built it a year ago and it is highly specked!

It was on its side, open and I spilled water in it (mono, ram, GPU etc...) About 300ml!!

on its side, open and I spilled water in it

That's nightmare fuel.
Athlon II 630, HD6870, 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

User Info: DiehardFFv2

DiehardFFv2
4 years ago#3

Let it dry for more than 12 hours. Since you can't exactly submerge it in rice, I would suggest leaving it off for closer to 48 hours to be safe. Having your case completely open and a fan blowing air on it probably wouldn't hurt either.
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB

User Info: ZeraphLordS

ZeraphLordS
4 years ago#4
fill your computer with rice
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs

Gietzy
4 years ago#5
DiehardFFv2 posted...

Let it dry for more than 12 hours. Since you can't exactly submerge it in rice, I would suggest leaving it off for closer to 48 hours to be safe. Having your case completely open and a fan blowing air on it probably wouldn't hurt either.

I didn't want to fan it as I thought it might make the water run. With it upside down it is more likely to drop dry. As I see it speed of drying doesn't matter as the components are already wet. Being wet for 4 hours is the same as being wet for 1 minute.
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!

User Info: DiehardFFv2

DiehardFFv2
4 years ago#6
Gietzy posted...
DiehardFFv2 posted...

I didn't want to fan it as I thought it might make the water run. With it upside down it is more likely to drop dry. As I see it speed of drying doesn't matter as the components are already wet. Being wet for 4 hours is the same as being wet for 1 minute.

A fan would help with the drying process much in the way that air dryers used in bathrooms operate. Either way, I wouldn't turn it on any sooner than 2 days from now and if you can, remove your components and putting them in rice would help a bunch as well.
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
4 years ago#7
The point is to let it dry completely before turning it back on
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: Awesomdor

Awesomdor
4 years ago#8
Lol
I'm a guy.
i3-2120 3.3GHz_6850 Sapphire_8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Gietzy
4 years ago#9
Awesomdor posted...
Lol

So cruel!

User Info: tspirtle2

tspirtle2
4 years ago#10
My understanding is that electronic components can get wet as long as they're turned off. Let it dry completely (like others suggested, use a fan) and let it sit for an ample amount of time before trying to turn it on.<br />
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have I destroyed my PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived