This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For a laptop cord, what is the difference between 2 or 3 pin connectors?

#1Sephiroth ZetaPosted 5/31/2012 10:04:26 AM
I'm building a laptop on lenovo right now, and I have the choice between 2 or 3 pins for my cord, and there's no cost difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages to each?
---
This is my signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
#2Sephiroth Zeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 11:29:27 AM
Bump
---
#3ShubPosted 6/1/2012 11:32:22 AM
3 prongs means it's grounded, but older outlets may not have the 3 orifices.
Always get 3 prongs if your outlets support it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4Sephiroth Zeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 11:38:50 AM
Oh, it means that part of the outlet? I thought it meant like...the part where you connect the 2 parts of the cord (where the power box is)
---
#5ShubPosted 6/1/2012 11:40:51 AM
It means both. Although on occasion I've seen power cords that had a 3-pin connector on one end and a 2-prong connector going into the outlet. Perhaps I'm missing something but that made no sense to me.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6Sephiroth Zeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 11:43:03 AM
Shub posted...
It means both. Although on occasion I've seen power cords that had a 3-pin connector on one end and a 2-prong connector going into the outlet. Perhaps I'm missing something but that made no sense to me.

That's the main reason I was asking; the cord for the laptop I'm replacing is like this.
---
#7R i c kPosted 6/1/2012 11:49:32 AM
The third prong in any power cable is an emergency ground. Think of this scenario: the two AC wires going into the power supply are 120V. One wire has a faulty connection, breaks off and lands on the power supply chassis. In many cases this causes an incomplete circuit so the circuit breaker isn't tripped, nothing happens. Then you go to pick up the device and you touch a bare screw or something that's common with whatever the faulty wire is touching and you complete a circuit to ground and get electrocuted. The third ground wire is a direct connection to Earth ground (all the third prongs in your house will be tied either to your water pipe or a spike driven directly into the earth for a natural ground) for the device's chassis so if that sort of fault happens the circuit is instantly completed and the circuit breaker trips without anyone getting electrocuted. It's always safer to go with a three prong cord but it's mainly things like power tools where it's a real priority.
---
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
>