This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how should I keep my laptop cool?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how should I keep my laptop cool?

User Info: aussie_pwn

aussie_pwn
4 years ago#1
I just purchased a Alienware m17x4, I have a USB fan but my room gets pretty hot in summer, at the store they had one on a fan and it was warm to touch and that was without playing anything.

I don't have the know how to mod it so is a USB fan enough or is there something else I need?
PSN: aussie-rule

User Info: drewh

drewh
4 years ago#2
If it doesn't overheat, it's fine.
My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
Video games in HD!

User Info: NeojianX

NeojianX
4 years ago#3
I saw some laptop cooling fan board right in the front of Walgreen's the other day. I think it was $29.99 or something like that. I had an Alienware M17 and they have a lot of fans in them. It never had a problem from overheating, but it was hot to the touch. So a simple area fan might be good for that.

Man those things are heavy. It seemed to have two of everything inside.
I want to fight Aliens with Rihanna.

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
4 years ago#4
Do you mean hot as in the bottom towards the back? The CPU and GPU are there so it's normal for that area to be hot. Use a program like HWMonitor to check the temps. If they're okay, which they should be, then you don't have to worry.
Alienware M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 6GB DDR3 1600 | 240GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM HDD |

aussie_pwn
4 years ago#5
oh so the laptop being hot doesn't damage it? how do I know when hot is too hot or when it's overheating? just do that hw thing?

User Info: CatToy

CatToy
4 years ago#6
If it overheats to a dangerous level it will probably shut itself down.
Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?
http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/338862/

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
4 years ago#7
The cpu should throttle itself before damage occurs, don't know about the gpu.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k (4.4ghz) ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb 1600 ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Crucial M4 128GB

aussie_pwn
4 years ago#8
so can I just download hwmonitor? and does it cost anything?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how should I keep my laptop cool?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived