This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sound cards...

#1EvilGiygasPosted 5/31/2012 5:21:01 PM
Yeah, yeah. I know onboard sound usually does the trick. There's nothing to complain about with my on-board sound. But I'm about to purchase these:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productPromotions

My question is, are there are sound cards worth buying that aren't very expensive to compliment these cans?
---
Current generation game count:
X360 - 139 / Wii - 20 / PS3 - 11 / 3DS - 3 / DS - 8 / PSP - 9 / PC - 51
#2NeoBillbinePosted 5/31/2012 6:32:43 PM
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1338514060&sr=1-1-catcorr

If you order it tonight you can still get a $10 rebate making it $14 instead of 24.
A great sound card for the price you pay. You can get the rebate off Newegg since it will still work for a purchase on Amazon.

rebate link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020&Tpk=xonar%20dg
---
i7 2700K, ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PRO, NH-D14, 16 GB G.Skill
Ripjaws DDR3, GTX680, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Asus Xonar DG, Corsair HX650, Arc Midi
#3Dollarman_2005Posted 5/31/2012 6:38:19 PM
Cans are a terminology for headphones, just a btw. Not trying to be mean about it.

I hope you have a sub for those.
85 Hz 20 kHz

-_- @ low end.
#4XjphPosted 5/31/2012 7:33:31 PM
Depending on your motherboard there might be no difference at all unless you shell out for a fairly expensive card, and there probably won't ever be with those particular speakers. If you've got an onboard Realtek AC898 then you're on par with a lot of dedicated cards already, though that's pretty much the very upper echelon of onboard audio chips at the moment.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
#5NeoBillbinePosted 5/31/2012 8:17:32 PM
Xjph posted...
Depending on your motherboard there might be no difference at all unless you shell out for a fairly expensive card, and there probably won't ever be with those particular speakers. If you've got an onboard Realtek AC898 then you're on par with a lot of dedicated cards already, though that's pretty much the very upper echelon of onboard audio chips at the moment.

Sorry to disagree with you, but that only applies if the AV 40s would have a digital input. If that were the case I would agree that there would be no use in purchasing a sound card.

However he will be using the onboard analog out to connect to the AV 40s and he will be able to hear a difference when compared to a dedicated sound card like the Xonar DG

The article below should show how well the DG performs when it is compared to onboard audio(Realtek) and another dedicated sound card

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19997.
---
Ripjaws DDR3, GTX680, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Asus Xonar DG, Corsair HX650, Arc Midi
#6Dollarman_2005Posted 5/31/2012 8:28:36 PM
I am positive he will not be able to hear the difference on those. He would need something a bit higher end to justify getting a sound card.

I mean it certainly can't hurt but it's not really reasonable. The best way he'll notice a sound increase is just increasing the quality tbh.
#7XjphPosted 5/31/2012 8:36:12 PM
That article compares with the ALC892, the ALC898 is a better chip, with a SNR that rivals the Xonar DG. (110db, according to the spec sheet)
I know that SNR isn't the only spec that matters, I just want to point out that the ALC898 is a quantifiable improvement over what is reviewed in that link.
---
#8NeoBillbinePosted 5/31/2012 9:43:42 PM
Xjph posted...
That article compares with the ALC892, the ALC898 is a better chip, with a SNR that rivals the Xonar DG. (110db, according to the spec sheet)
I know that SNR isn't the only spec that matters, I just want to point out that the ALC898 is a quantifiable improvement over what is reviewed in that link.

Yeah, I really do not like to pay too much attention to spec sheet numbers, since manufacturers like to inflate them. In the real world the ALC898 will probably perform as well as the ALC892(not very well).

Anyway, I will be sure to test my Asrock X79 Extreme6/GB(has ALC898) when I get it next week. I have a few sets of speakers, headphones, receivers, and amplifiers around the house to see if it really is that good when compared to the DG.
---
#9XjphPosted 6/1/2012 5:02:12 AM(edited)
Yes, specs are often inflated, but the ALC892 is worse on paper than the ALC898, so even in the event that the ALC898 doesn't live up to its spec it should still be better than the 892 in that test, it's just a question of by how much.

I'd actually be interested to hear about what you find out if you do test them. I'll admit my past experience with Creative has somewhat soured me on dedicated cards. I expect that ASUS is better, but onboard has reached the point for me at least where it's good enough.

edit: Also, for the purposes of the question posed by this thread, if a better sound card would benefit those speakers, I think we can agree that no, those speakers are pretty middling. You will see a large improvement in sound just by getting better speakers. Spend the same amount of money on an Altec Lansing 2.1 set or something, you can do better.
---
#10schadowPosted 6/1/2012 5:10:47 AM
I am using these speakers

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ADPA7X

At first I used a USB soundcard, but after it broke I went to a music/instrument store and bought some decent quality phono cables and a minijack adapter. There's zero interference or buzz from my speakers, even if I hold the phono cables directly along power cables.

http://cl.ly/H48Z

So I can confidently say that my MacBook's minijack DAC is 100% good enough for stereo output.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!