This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having Problems with Dual Monitors

#1The Killer HumarPosted 5/31/2012 5:24:57 PM
Hello all, I am having trouble with a dual monitor set-up that I just installed today. The primary monitor I have been using for a while is a 21.5" LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1600 x 900, connected using DVI. The second monitor I just added, I have connected it using a VGA-HDMI converter; it is an old CRT monitor with a max resolution of 1024 x 768. I am positive the converter is good because a couple of months back, I was using it to connect the LCD. The second monitor is actually detected by the computer and the green light is on as if everything is good, but the screen is black. I am using Windows 7 and an ATI 5770 graphics card, I don't have the NEWEST drivers, but don't believe that to be the problem. I have it set to extended display as well. Any suggestions guys?
#2EvilGiygasPosted 5/31/2012 5:26:50 PM
Drivers could definitely cause issues.

You also need the software. UltraMon is pretty good.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
---
Current generation game count:
X360 - 139 / Wii - 20 / PS3 - 11 / 3DS - 3 / DS - 8 / PSP - 9 / PC - 51
#3R i c kPosted 5/31/2012 5:33:09 PM(edited)
Drivers could definitely cause issues.
You also need the software. UltraMon is pretty good.
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

ATI cards come with CCC and Hydravision which should work fine even if the drivers aren't completely up to date. I've never used a VGA-HDMI converter, only VGA-DVI adapters, but my first instinct would be to start swapping monitors and connections just to try to rule out the hardware. If you can get everything functioning with swapped parts then it should be a software issue.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#4EvilGiygasPosted 5/31/2012 5:34:41 PM
Ahhh. Well ignore my post. Haven't used AMD based GPUs in a few years, let alone for dual displays.
---
Current generation game count:
X360 - 139 / Wii - 20 / PS3 - 11 / 3DS - 3 / DS - 8 / PSP - 9 / PC - 51
#5k debonairPosted 5/31/2012 5:38:15 PM
boot up the computer with just the crt. do you get a picture? if not, then it's there's something wrong with communication to the crt.

if you get a picture, plug in the LCD via dvi to the computer. it should detect it and give a picture there as well.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#6The Killer Humar(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 5:50:21 PM
My mistake, I actually meant VGA-DVI adapter, not VGA-HDMI. However, I just tried powering up the computer with only the CRT hooked and no display, just a black screen. Well actually, whenever I newly detect the CRT and choose the "Extended desktop" option, it'll flash a picture of my desktop for a split second, then go black. The picture looks grainy. Do you think it could have anything to do with the power cable? The monitor didn't have one so I found a random power plug-in in my apartment that fit it; it seems to be powered up fine though.
#7R i c kPosted 5/31/2012 6:14:18 PM(edited)
The Killer Humar posted...
My mistake, I actually meant VGA-DVI adapter, not VGA-HDMI. However, I just tried powering up the computer with only the CRT hooked and no display, just a black screen. Well actually, whenever I newly detect the CRT and choose the "Extended desktop" option, it'll flash a picture of my desktop for a split second, then go black. The picture looks grainy. Do you think it could have anything to do with the power cable? The monitor didn't have one so I found a random power plug-in in my apartment that fit it; it seems to be powered up fine though.

Ah, well VGA-DVI is a different story. Make sure the ports on your card are DVI-I and not DVI-D. Sometimes one will be DVI-I and the other DVI-D (such is the case with my card). When you're using a VGA-DVI adapter you have to plug it into a DVI-I port.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D