This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My BIOS's splash screen takes forever under certain circumstances.

#1The cranky hermitPosted 5/31/2012 4:36:50 PM
My computer and its power peripherals are plugged into a power strip. The PC itself plugs into an "always on" port, and everything else is in a normal port. The monitor has a built-in USB hub which is always plugged into the PC, and a USB wifi device is a permanent fixture on the monitor's USB ports.

Under normal circumstances, before I turn on the PC, the switch is off, so I turn it on, delivering power to the monitor. I then turn on the PC, and everything is normal.

However, I have found that if the monitor has been powered on for a certain amount of time, then the BIOS will show its splash screen for about five minutes before moving on. It is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L, with BIOS updated to version F6a quite some time ago.

For instance, restarting the computer qualifies. Or if I forgot to turn off the power strip and the monitor is still receiving power when I am ready to turn on the PC, that makes the BIOS splash screen slow too. In the latter scenario, I have found that unplugging the PC from the strip and replugging it in will make it boot normally. Doing that to just the monitor, however, will not.

I also found just now that if I disconnect the monitor's USB hub before rebooting, the splash screen will be fast as normal. My next experiment, after the PC has been on for a few hours, is to try removing the wifi device and rebooting.

I've looked around in the BIOS, but I can't find any USB settings that aren't what I want them to be. And I'd rather not play trial and error with the settings just yet.

Given all that, any opinions on what might fix this? The fact that disconnecting the monitor's USB hub fixes it is probably the most important bit of evidence I have right now.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#2gamerfpsPosted 5/31/2012 6:32:04 PM
Go into the BIOS and search for the "Integrated Peripherals" menu (that's what these settings were under on my Gigabyte board, at least), then disable "USB Legacy Support" and "Legacy USB Storage Support." You may only have to disable one or the other, not both.

I had the same problem when my external HDD was plugged in until I disabled the Legacy storage setting.
---
Core i5 760 2.8ghz, 16GB g.Skill Ripjaws-X 7-7-7-21, HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6970 2GB, Gigabyte P55A-UD3, Corsair HX750
#3The cranky hermit(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 3:45:11 AM
I just found out that removing the wifi device also fixes the problem.

I'll try those settings and see what happens.
---
#4antknotPosted 6/1/2012 5:03:11 AM
Was just gonna say that turning the PC on with the device unplugged fixes it. But nice to know the other fix.
#5ein311Posted 6/1/2012 6:16:56 AM
I've found that going into your BIOS config's boot device options and disabling the "Boot Other Device" option can help mitigate this as well.
---
i5-2500k || HD6950 (6970 mod) CF || Roccat Kova+ || Ducky MX Red || U2711, 2x2243bwt || AV 40
Wasting money every day http://i.imgur.com/Vegks.jpg
#6The cranky hermit(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 1:37:21 PM
Disabling "Legacy USB Storage" did the trick. I didn't see the other USB option, and I don't recall there being any boot device options other than menus for "Boot First Device" through "Boot Third Device," of which I had the first set to my internal HDD and the other two disabled.

Thanks - my PC will be slightly less annoying to use now.

Can anything bad happen as a result of disabling Legacy USB Storage?
---
#7gamerfpsPosted 6/3/2012 7:02:29 PM
I haven't noticed anything. It may disable support for USB 1.1 devices but considering finding one of those things is pretty hard, it's not a big loss.
---
Core i5 760 2.8ghz, 16GB g.Skill Ripjaws-X 7-7-7-21, HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6970 2GB, Gigabyte P55A-UD3, Corsair HX750