This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to C++

#21neroAngeloPosted 6/1/2012 2:55:09 PM
nobleisthyname posted...
I thought you were implying that vim wasn't a powerful tool to code with.

It's not if you compare it to a real IDE.
---
PSWii360 - This is how I triforce http://i51.tinypic.com/vctnom.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 8800 GT 512 MB
#22Skul_Posted 6/2/2012 7:21:01 PM
If you dont want an ide, use Notepad++.
---
Official Head of the Department of Education for the NDF.
i5-2500@3.3GHz|8GB|GeForceGTX550TI||W7-64bit|1TBHDD|P8Z68M-PRO
#23Treason686Posted 6/2/2012 7:24:47 PM
Why not use an IDE? I never understood this. It can make programming so much easier.

Speaking of Visual Studio, if you're a student, you can get the full version for free:
dreamspark.com
---
|| PSN/360 GT: Treason686 ||
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3|| Crossfire XFX Radeon 6870 || HP w2408h
#24ElementalWindPosted 6/2/2012 8:18:29 PM
Why not use an IDE? I never understood this. It can make programming so much easier.
My experience with IDEs has generally been that they are more heavy-handed than I like about imposing a particular organization for the project (including their own special project description files). I suppose it's also worth adding than when we switch our first-year students from Racket to Java, their asking for help getting their code to work mostly gets replaced by asking for help getting Eclipse to work.
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#25Darkness_HeirPosted 6/2/2012 8:35:06 PM
Personally, I think the way my university does it is a fairly good way of learning:

Use a fairly basic IDE to begin with, since it allows you to easily compile and see errors in your code. We learn Racket at this level. Then switch to a basic text editor to learn C with RunC plugin that allows a shortcut to compile. You work in a Virtual Machine with Ubuntu now, so you can get used to command-line and a Linux distro.

At second level, you almost have to use a command-line interface to program and debug because of the tools you'll need to use are on the Linux servers, which you have to ssh for.

So, a very basic IDE -> basic text editor -> command-line (emacs, vim) -> a full fledged IDE is probably a really good way to learn. Why? Because it eases you into programming without the help of an IDE. It would be easier to learn to code in vim then go into an IDE, than to use an IDE before using a command-line interface. Also, it forces more good practices since some IDE's might have auto-complete and such meaning you don't have to think about your code as much.
---
Yeah I highly doubt anyone who uses GameFAQ's is a "gangsta". Hell I doubt more than half of them even own computers. ~0__q
#26darktheron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 9:59:10 PM
Ok thanks for all the responses guys. I have a c++ for Dummies book that my friend lent me but the book has a CD that comes with it but he doesn't know where it is at. The book says i can download a free version of c++ from it called GNU C++ or i can download from the internet.

I tried downloading it from the internet website www.deloreon.com looking for the
GNU C++ program but i can't find the actual download part for that program. Does know where to download that one at or help me find it off the website? Thanks for all the help so far.
---
The way to life is the key to victory.
#27darktheron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 10:42:04 PM
Also does does anyone know what how to make this symbol appear in coding. its like an F but with a line extending all the way up and down. Basically its a "/" with what looks like an F in there and backwords F as well. I don't know how to bring it up on the computer.
---
The way to life is the key to victory.
#28ivanwind15Posted 6/2/2012 11:05:22 PM
darktheron posted...
Also does does anyone know what how to make this symbol appear in coding. its like an F but with a line extending all the way up and down. Basically its a "/" with what looks like an F in there and backwords F as well. I don't know how to bring it up on the computer.

...The 'or' sign? Look at your keybord carefully...
---
My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
Video games in HD!
#29ElementalWindPosted 6/3/2012 6:13:43 AM
Does know where to download that one at or help me find it off the website?
If you're trying to use GNU software on Windows, try cygwin.com or mingw.org

o_0 Can you post a picture of this symbol?
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#30The cranky hermitPosted 6/3/2012 7:03:39 AM
So, a very basic IDE -> basic text editor -> command-line (emacs, vim) -> a full fledged IDE is probably a really good way to learn. Why? Because it eases you into programming without the help of an IDE. It would be easier to learn to code in vim then go into an IDE, than to use an IDE before using a command-line interface.

That's dumb. Yeah, I suppose it would be difficult to go from IDE to CLI, but why would you do that? That's like saying you should learn how to cook by rubbing sticks together before moving on to an electric stove.

Also, it forces more good practices since some IDE's might have auto-complete and such meaning you don't have to think about your code as much.

I think you have very little experience with actual projects if you think that's what "good practices" and "thinking about code" entails.

Using an IDE's auto-complete features means you don't have to worry too much about syntax, which is a good thing if your IDE is smart enough to get the auto-complete right on a consistent basis. It frees you up to spend more time thinking about code structure, and actual good practices, like separating concerns and other practices that help make sure your code will be readable by someone who isn't you.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!