This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to C++

#41ElementalWindPosted 6/3/2012 7:32:00 PM
One could also interpret that as the IDE is doing its job.
Making them stumble through an inconsistent, clumsy interface to do a simple thing like adding a .jar to the classpath is not its job.
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#42SpacewhizguyPosted 6/3/2012 7:36:52 PM
A decent professor would include appropriate starter files, so students could just start coding.
---
What's a sig?
#43ElementalWindPosted 6/3/2012 7:50:49 PM
How exactly does that solve the problem of Eclipse being screwy about it's "Run Configuration" setup?
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#44neroAngeloPosted 6/3/2012 8:17:00 PM
ElementalWind posted...
I suppose it's also worth adding than when we switch our first-year students from Racket to Java, their asking for help getting their code to work mostly gets replaced by asking for help getting Eclipse to work.

This may be why my college had us use JGrasp as our Java IDE. I remember when I 1st started using Eclipse, which wasn't until I was in grad school, I had a hell of a time getting a project set up.
---
PSWii360 - This is how I triforce http://i51.tinypic.com/vctnom.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 8800 GT 512 MB
#45Erik212Posted 6/4/2012 1:52:22 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Starting with an IDE vs just an editor is like going into the wilderness with a GPS but no map, if the batteries die then you're screwed.

Since when do IDEs have anything analogous to dying batteries? You install the IDE. It works. It then continues working no matter how long you use it.

Spacewhizguy posted...
Pretty bad analogy. The "batteries" of an IDE won't run out.

OK, my fault if I didn't come accross correctly, but the point I am trying to make is that you can't always rely on IDEs to be there, like in servers that can only be accessed via terminal. If you want to make some quick changes, it can be very helpful to be familiar with a command line editor. Even if you don't work in such an environment, there really isn't a downside to knowing more as opposed to less.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#46The cranky hermitPosted 6/4/2012 2:36:52 PM(edited)
Making them stumble through an inconsistent, clumsy interface to do a simple thing like adding a .jar to the classpath is not its job.

Then encourage an IDE with a better interface. There's plenty to choose from.

OK, my fault if I didn't come accross correctly, but the point I am trying to make is that you can't always rely on IDEs to be there, like in servers that can only be accessed via terminal.

If you're doing serious development, you can always rely in IDEs to be there. Yes, there are times when it's useful to SSH into a server and do stuff programmatically, but that's what scripting languages like Perl are for. C++ and the like are for times when you want to build an actual application.

If you want to make some quick changes, it can be very helpful to be familiar with a command line editor.

There's no such thing as a "quick change" in real development. Common workflow steps include checking in and out of source control and running smoke/regression tests, even for the simplest code changes.

Even if you don't have any real infrastructure, the scenario you are describing is one of editing an existing program. It isn't applicable to learning how to create a new one.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#47darktheron(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 12:58:07 PM
It looks kind of like this:

˦

But it is more slanted like a "/" and has another end piece sticking out like the first above like a "F".

That line won't show up but on word it will and its very similar to it.
---
The way to life is the key to victory.
#48ElementalWindPosted 6/5/2012 6:41:53 PM
FYI, GameFAQs supports a pretty limited character set.
---
#49chunky_salsaPosted 6/5/2012 7:23:28 PM
My professor had us use a simple text editor and compile it with gcc through a command line. Was really annoying but makes you appreciate a real IDE when you start using one.
---
Persuasion deflowers your sympathy