This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 Release Preview

#1StarksPosted 5/31/2012 10:47:54 PM
http://preview.windows.com/

Enjoy.
---
i7-2630QM | 8GB | 500GB | GT 555M | Advanced-N | 1080p Matte | Linux 3.4-rc1
http://i.imgur.com/Y6b1z.jpg
#2cup_a_soupPosted 6/1/2012 2:00:58 AM
All touch screens.

I know the OS is amazing for touch screens, not everyone has them... This is going to get scrutinized as I can imagine no one would be willing to invest in a touchscreen desktop monitor..
---
Need to boost online achievements in GTA4! (X360)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/segagamer/Untitled-19.png
#3darkstar4221Posted 6/1/2012 3:46:34 AM(edited)
How cool is that I can use touchscreen to draw pictures, I can do that with a nintendo ds too. Microsoft products are never as good as advertised, MS always lying to the public. Hopefully Windows 7 will be the last os I ever use from micro$oft.
#4superhoffyPosted 6/1/2012 4:36:28 AM
Windows 8 looks very social-ish,

It scares me a little since I hate facebook and twitter and it seems built around this stuff

I hope I can turn all this crap off and just have a faster windows 7
#5godplaysSNESPosted 6/1/2012 5:30:29 AM
I really hope Windows 9 will build upon Windows 7 instead of Win8...Guess the only way that is happening though, is by Windows 8 totally flopping

There will probably be some mods and such to make it look like Win7, but I don't like mods, because they are almost guaranteed to get broken in new updates
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
Won't get Battlefield 3 until all DLC is included
#6Gutter3DPosted 6/1/2012 6:58:06 AM
What about game compatibility? Will Windows 8 be able to play all the games that are currently play on Windows 7?
#7elite5472Posted 6/1/2012 7:02:30 AM
Posting this from metro IE.

Not bad at all. I like the new controls they added. They have improved the mouse and keyboard functionality quite a bit.
---
El Psy Congroo
#8jake-sfPosted 6/1/2012 7:04:52 AM
Why the hell would I want a touchscreen-based OS?

I got Windows 7 and I'm still literally DISGUSTED by what they did to it and the interface, using user-made modifications that changes it to look and feel and act (as much as possible) like 98. Thats right, 98. When the basic things were freakin' EFFICIENT.

I mean, I just don't care. Its like all that motion crap. Touch screen belongs in the same category. Its gimmicky and its nice for specific purposes, but its marketted like its the future or something. Guess what, future isn't always as bright and simple as it looks like. Touchscreen isn't that efficient and isn't magically better for everything.

Note that I didn't even look, its asking me to download Microsoft Silver Light. I've made a habit of -not- installing Microsoft crap I don't need.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#9elite5472Posted 6/1/2012 7:19:59 AM
jake-sf posted...
Why the hell would I want a touchscreen-based OS?

I got Windows 7 and I'm still literally DISGUSTED by what they did to it and the interface, using user-made modifications that changes it to look and feel and act (as much as possible) like 98. Thats right, 98. When the basic things were freakin' EFFICIENT.

I mean, I just don't care. Its like all that motion crap. Touch screen belongs in the same category. Its gimmicky and its nice for specific purposes, but its marketted like its the future or something. Guess what, future isn't always as bright and simple as it looks like. Touchscreen isn't that efficient and isn't magically better for everything.

Note that I didn't even look, its asking me to download Microsoft Silver Light. I've made a habit of -not- installing Microsoft crap I don't need.

Efficient?

You mean the crappiest command-line shell is efficient? Glad they made powershell (although, still ways off).

You mean the ugliest user interface ever conceived? Glad they made aero.

You mean the tons, tons and tons of menus, registry settings, services, and all that **** you had to change to make the OS feel at least a little comfortable? Glad they upgraded the control panel and explorer.

I still don't get what's so efficient about old windows, or what line of work requires such efficiency. I do software development, web design, database administration, server deployment, music and photoshop (as a hobby). A pleasant user interface has never, not once gotten in the way of my work, and more often than not I have my programs maximized, or full screen when I'm on OS X.

On the contrary, more screen real state makes me more productive at every single thing I do, and that's what metro does best.
---
El Psy Congroo
#10darkstar4221Posted 6/1/2012 1:46:09 PM(edited)
Gutter3D posted...
What about game compatibility? Will Windows 8 be able to play all the games that are currently play on Windows 7?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Software_compatibility
Well it says Windows 8 is compatible with previous version of Windows.

They didn't kill off interoperability like they do with MS Office. With MS Office Microsoft stops supporting old file formats after a while, and all the documents in Word2 that I have saved are now unreadable by anyone or anything. It's gotten so bad that OpenOffice has better compatibility with old file formats of MS office, than the latest version of MS office does.