This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 Release Preview

#11darkstar4221Posted 6/1/2012 1:29:49 PM
jake-sf posted...
Why the hell would I want a touchscreen-based OS?

I got Windows 7 and I'm still literally DISGUSTED by what they did to it and the interface, using user-made modifications that changes it to look and feel and act (as much as possible) like 98. Thats right, 98. When the basic things were freakin' EFFICIENT.

I mean, I just don't care. Its like all that motion crap. Touch screen belongs in the same category. Its gimmicky and its nice for specific purposes, but its marketted like its the future or something. Guess what, future isn't always as bright and simple as it looks like. Touchscreen isn't that efficient and isn't magically better for everything.

Note that I didn't even look, its asking me to download Microsoft Silver Light. I've made a habit of -not- installing Microsoft crap I don't need.

Microsoft has never been an actual monopoly regardless of their dominant position, specifically because they never had the ability to force anyone to buy their products. But they TRIED, and Microsoft certainly played the bad guy with their FUD, obfuscation, shifting formats, deliberate crippleware, and “Windows isn’t done till Netscape won’t run” software development.

I will be very happy when Microsoft is gone, and chaff every time I see any company Silverlight
#12Starks(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 4:06:26 PM(edited)
The biggest problem with Windows desktop mode is the ugly clutter of icons.

Gnome-Shell and Metro eliminated that problem.

It scares me a little since I hate facebook and twitter and it seems built around this stuff

Ubuntu and Mac have taken a lighter approach. Social features come shipped with the OS, but they aren't central to its use or in your face.
---
i7-2630QM | 8GB | 500GB | GT 555M | Advanced-N | 1080p Matte | Linux 3.4-rc1
http://i.imgur.com/Y6b1z.jpg
#13SamusFarronPosted 6/1/2012 4:32:20 PM(edited)
Looks like Windows 7 with a bunch of forced, app-centric, socialite BS layered on top.

They are going in a really awkward business venture with this, IMO. Windows has always been a utility that got you where you wanted to go, now it seems like they are trying to tell you where to go while simultaneously posting tweets and facebook status updates about where you went. It's a very Apple driven mentality, and MS needs to avoid that school of thought.

I want Windows the tool back, not Windows the "experience". I really hope all of that overlay crap can be turned off. Thankfully I'm sure it can. But at that point, what are we left with? Windows 7. And I love Windows 7, so I might as well just keep it. From what I have heard Windows 8 has negligible, if any, performance benefit over 7.

Instead of further streamlining the experience for the core user, they seem to just be making it easier for hipsters to tell other hipsters how awesome their day was.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczWtQvMKps&feature=endscreen&NR=1
#14Orestes417Posted 6/1/2012 4:28:44 PM
Lamentably I think you're severely misinterpreting who the "core user" actually is.
---
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.
#15cup_a_soupPosted 6/2/2012 3:02:42 AM
Microsoft has never been an actual monopoly regardless of their dominant position, specifically because they never had the ability to force anyone to buy their products. But they TRIED, and Microsoft certainly played the bad guy with their FUD, obfuscation, shifting formats, deliberate crippleware, and “Windows isn’t done till Netscape won’t run” software development.

I will be very happy when Microsoft is gone, and chaff every time I see any company Silverlight

You realised most of your complaints are stuff that happened in the 90's right?

If you're a Mac user though you have no right to criticise Microsoft, as they are far better than Apple's ridiculous practices.

And Silverlight is far better than Flash and Java in many ways.
---
Need to boost online achievements in GTA4! (X360)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/segagamer/Untitled-19.png
#16Starks(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 12:56:55 PM(edited)
Microsoft has never been an actual monopoly regardless of their dominant position

Um no.

Have you even read about Secure Boot UEFI?

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

Fedora is being forced to pay Microsoft for the ability to run Linux on Windows 8 desktops and laptops. That's a monopolizing tactic.

Yes, you can disable secure boot (except on Windows RT tablets), but that's not a practical solution.
---
i7-2630QM | 8GB | 500GB | GT 555M | Advanced-N | 1080p Matte | Linux 3.4-rc1
http://i.imgur.com/Y6b1z.jpg
#17wizardmonPosted 6/2/2012 1:18:33 PM(edited)
Starks posted...
Microsoft has never been an actual monopoly regardless of their dominant position

Um no.

Have you even read about Secure Boot UEFI?

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

Fedora is being forced to pay Microsoft for the ability to run Linux on Windows 8 desktops and laptops. That's a monopolizing tactic.

Yes, you can disable secure boot (except on Windows RT tablets), but that's not a practical solution.

You are aware that Microsoft has never said that they are locking computers to their operating system

In fact, they even said that that's up to oem distributers IIRC
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard -ToastyOne
It's impossible to insert another motherboard into one of the DIMM slots -Wraithdagger44
#18godplaysSNESPosted 6/2/2012 1:07:42 PM
So you who have tried it, is it possible to have it look like Windows 7, without ever having to look at the Metro interface?
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
Won't get Battlefield 3 until all DLC is included
#19SmoboHashPosted 6/2/2012 1:15:52 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
So you who have tried it, is it possible to have it look like Windows 7, without ever having to look at the Metro interface?

In the consumer preview, I had to look at the Metro interface to do anything with the Start menu, but anything I put on the desktop was fair game.
#20AcquirePosted 6/2/2012 1:21:24 PM
I've used it and I really don't see what the problem is. The new metro UI that people keep complaining about is just the start menu. All they did is replace the start menu with the big metro UI "home" screen. The regular desktop is still there and I think it looks and functions better than what currently exists in Windows 7. They pretty much made the start menu actually usable since right now in Windows 7 it's just a clutter of menus with sub menus and even more submenus. I really think all you people complaining about it haven't even used it.

The workflow is as follows: pc boots up, you log in, see new metro ui start menu, one key press or mouse button press and you're on the desktop, press windows key and you're back on the new start menu, press it again and you're back in the desktop.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.