This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a GPU considered failing if it still works 'some' of the time?

#1EternalNetherPosted 5/31/2012 10:07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure this is my first time ever dealing with failed hardware. My GPU has been going crazy for weeks now. Some days it's fine. Other days it will randomly start spawning artifacts all over the place until the fan shuts off on it, the screen goes black, and it comes back just fine with a driver error message in the bottom left. It happens while gaming, watching videos, or just sitting on the desktop.

In the past 24 hours it's gotten exceptionally worse. I've had this problem arise about a dozen times while playing Assassin's Creed (first 1, which I finished, then again not long into AC2). Recently the artifacting went completely nuts. I tried reverting my Nvidia drivers to a previous update...got a blue screen but then was able to get it finished. Still didn't work. Then it happened again and the system rebooted completely, and when it did the artifacting wasn't going away. It was stuck there and my drivers were not working at all. I couldn't make sense of anything. So I shut it down for 10 minutes and came back. Everything is fine for now.

And no, it's not overheating. I'm really almost 100% sure it's my GPU itself and not other hardware/software. I want to RMA it to MSI but I've never done it before and I'm worried if they boot it up and it seems to be working fine they won't replace it. Oh, and does anyone with MSI RMA experience know if they give you a new GPU or a refurbished/used one?
---
Diablo III sold 6.3 million copies in its first week. You can bet your ass they're going to bring the game to consoles.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/31/2012 10:20:28 PM
I've RMA'd a GTX460 because of a clicking fan. They're pretty good about RMAs.

That said, what GPU and what driver version? If it's the GTX560 or 560Ti, try using the new 301 series drivers.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#3EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 10:23:32 PM
It's the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460. And I've tried driver versions: 265, 296, and the new 300 one or whatever it was. All suffer the same problems.

And every time I boot up a game now I can only run it for 30 seconds tops before the artifacting starts. On my desktop it's fine though.
---
Diablo III sold 6.3 million copies in its first week. You can bet your ass they're going to bring the game to consoles.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/31/2012 10:24:57 PM
Yeah, that sounds like either the VRMs are crapping out and not delivering stable voltage, or the card is just dying out.

Out of curiosity, what PSU are you using? Not the wattage, but the actual model.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#5EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 10:30:39 PM
It's a Seasonic X 650w.

Backstory here: I moved across the country a month ago and shipped my computer to myself to get it here. During shipping my heatsink fell off of my CPU (stock intel heatsink) and it landed on my GPU. I don't know when that happened but odds are it tumbled around inside the case quite a bit and damaged my GPU in the process because it's been doing this ever since. My Motherboard was protected mostly due to its thermal armor (Sabertooth P67 MoBo). I got a new heatsink and the CPU works fine.
---
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/31/2012 10:34:03 PM
Ouch.

If the GPU has been damaged, it may not be eligible for RMA, but you can try anyway.
---
mmarkster posted...
#7EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 10:38:11 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Ouch.

If the GPU has been damaged, it may not be eligible for RMA, but you can try anyway.

I looked it over when I realized the heatsink had fallen on it. I didn't see any physical damage. But I might have missed it.
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/31/2012 10:40:19 PM
Well if it isn't working right, it was damaged.
Did you clean it off before using it? Thermal paste isn't designed to be conductive, but it sometimes can carry an electrical current. If you managed to bridge a connection, it could have fried something.
Did you try reseating the GPU? You may have just knocked it a bit loose.
---
mmarkster posted...
#9BMANZZSPosted 5/31/2012 10:42:31 PM
EternalNether posted...
It's a Seasonic X 650w.

Backstory here: I moved across the country a month ago and shipped my computer to myself to get it here. During shipping my heatsink fell off of my CPU (stock intel heatsink) and it landed on my GPU. I don't know when that happened but odds are it tumbled around inside the case quite a bit and damaged my GPU in the process because it's been doing this ever since. My Motherboard was protected mostly due to its thermal armor (Sabertooth P67 MoBo). I got a new heatsink and the CPU works fine.

Well, just don't tell MSI that when you RMA it >_>
---
i5-2500k (@4.3GHz) Hyper 212+ | AsRock z68 Extreme3 | GTX 560 Ti 448 @(820/1980)
CM690 II Adv | G-Skill 2x4GB PC1600 | CM Silent Pro 700W
#10BeanCounter64Posted 6/1/2012 12:30:11 AM(edited)
BMANZZS posted...
EternalNether posted...
It's a Seasonic X 650w.

Well, just don't tell MSI that when you RMA it >_>

That is not ethical. I would not RMA the gpu.

I had a Sapphire 5770, that I know I had damaged. I decided not to claim a warranty as this would have been dishonest.
---
"The Wii board - where some people go to be trolls, and others go to be trolled." (LimblessQuasar 2011)
Playing Anno 1404: Can I produce spices yet?