This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Arma 2 CO worth it just for Day Z mod?

#11mrcivic88Posted 6/1/2012 11:27:04 AM
Im not gona lie, but i hate one thing about Day Z that completely ruins it all for me: Player Killing.

The longest Ive lasted with a character is about 10 hours. Ive gone through 5 different characters. The cause of death for all? Player killing.

I understand why people love this game. I can totally see why and I would too, but this damn player killing is annoying. Its like, forget teamming up and fighting zombies together. Just go and kill anything that moves other than yourself.

I was ambushed by a group of other players (there were 3 of them). At first they were just like whats up then bam, im dead.

Id get back into it if they would make a server with no player killing. Until then, its whatever for me.

...but still, id recommend you try it regardless. People from all over are loving it. Im probably just having tough luck on my experience with this mod,

The goal is to survive, not exterminate all of the zombies. And it's pretty obvious at this point where the bandit hotspots are. They're not hard to avoid. Rocket has even said the the main enemy in the game is other players. The zombies are just there to populate the world, and to provide a basis for the given situation. That's the reason it's a good zombie game: the zombies aren't the focus.

But anyway, yes, it's absolutely worth it. Do try the beta first though.
#12MachEvolutionPosted 6/1/2012 11:44:06 AM
They need to have designated non-PvP zones though, or at least certain areas with some kind of strong AI police force. These areas shouldn't have anything good in them but there should be a place where people can meet up without worrying about dying just for existing. I actually like the idea of an AI police force, have it so that, sure you can kill other players in this "safe" zone, but you then incur the wrath of the AI to punish you.
#13El_KazPosted 6/1/2012 11:44:28 AM
If you want a similar experience to DayZ but without the PvP or sandbox aspect, check out Chernarus Apocalypse. It's a series of story-driven maps playable in single player or multiplayer co-op.
---
Wait... what?
#14MASKOAAAPosted 6/1/2012 11:47:24 AM
MachEvolution posted...
They need to have designated non-PvP zones though, or at least certain areas with some kind of strong AI police force. These areas shouldn't have anything good in them but there should be a place where people can meet up without worrying about dying just for existing. I actually like the idea of an AI police force, have it so that, sure you can kill other players in this "safe" zone, but you then incur the wrath of the AI to punish you.

Only problem with that is snipers would camp outside and just pick people off to piss them off as they left.
#15MachEvolutionPosted 6/1/2012 4:17:56 PM
It's not a perfect system, but griefers will always find a way to grief other players. You could have the "safe" zones move around, kind of like a mobile camp of sorts. Every day the camp is moved to a new location and anyone who logged off while in the camp at the old site get logged in where the new camp is(as if they had traveled with the camp).
#16svr2006gawd(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:36:20 PM
One more question, is it controller compatible or no?
---
i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3 (3.7) | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB DDR3 | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200 | ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080p
#17Lemur_HPosted 6/1/2012 6:37:20 PM
svr2006gawd posted...

Yes, but good luck with that. You lose too much ... everything ... when you choose to use a controller.
---
2500K - 2x 560 Ti 448 SLI - 8GB DDR3 - M4 128GB SSD
#18L0ZPosted 6/1/2012 6:54:03 PM
No its not. Every goht damn day i get a black screen flashing telling me i have to have the newest update and every day the version number increases
---
[I7 3770 | G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 256GB Corsair M4 SSD | GA-Z77X-UD3H | 2GB Evga GTX 670 FTW]
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#19MASKOAAAPosted 6/1/2012 7:23:01 PM
L0Z posted...
No its not. Every goht damn day i get a black screen flashing telling me i have to have the newest update and every day the version number increases

No it doesn't....look at the servers your joining some of them require beta patches but most don't. I haven't installed a beta patch for ARMA 2 yet.
#20MASKOAAAPosted 6/1/2012 7:23:34 PM
Lemur_H posted...
svr2006gawd posted...

Yes, but good luck with that. You lose too much ... everything ... when you choose to use a controller.

This, but I do have my XBOX controller setup for driving/flying in the rare chance I get to do it lol.