This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU- and GPU coolers

#1schadowPosted 6/1/2012 6:04:40 AM
I'll use coolers as an example. Yep.

Can the sentence

"CPU coolers and GPU coolers"

be correctly shortened to

"CPU- and GPU coolers"

to avoid unnecessarily wordy expressions?

"How is this relevant to PCH?" you might think. Semantics is always relevant on this board.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#2ShubPosted 6/1/2012 6:05:34 AM
Skip the hyphen in this instance.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:09:31 AM
Really? This English is a strange language. :p
---
#4ShubPosted 6/1/2012 6:14:38 AM(edited)
Why? Where did the hyphen even come from? :)
You would want the hyphen if you were saying something such as "hydrogen- and nitrogen-cooled components," because even if you were only saying "nitrogen-cooled components," obviously there is a hyphen and you want the "hydrogen" part to have its hyphen as well. It's called a suspensive hyphen.
There is no hyphen in "GPU coolers," so there is no reason to say "CPU- and GPU coolers" -- just "CPU and GPU coolers" is all you need. Would you use a hyphen in this instance in your language?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:17:51 AM
In Danish you would use a hyphen to avoid the possibility of

"CPU and GPU coolers"

meaning

1x CPU
1x GPU cooler

But my language also has the feature that all native words (words that aren't acronyms or too foreign) are joined, contrary to English. So while you'd say "Cooling component" in two words in English, it becomes "Kølekomponent" in Danish, and so you could say "Køle- og frysekomponent" (Cooling and freezing component).
---
#6ShubPosted 6/1/2012 6:26:36 AM
Then it makes perfect sense to use hyphens, German does the same thing.
Context will drive meaning in this instance, but if you were just saying "CPU and GPU coolers are usually made of metal," there is no ambiguity: you are referring to CPU coolers and GPU coolers.
---
-What is best in life?
#7schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:33:10 AM

With my superior foreign language grammatical skills I will now attempt to save my paper from failing grades.
---