This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"DFTWK is compressed"

#1emidasPosted 6/1/2012 9:07:02 AM
I am getting this error on my laptop on boot. I am on a trip so I can not access any of my usual discs to re-install anything. A google search turned up nothing as did a search on hp's tech site. Can anyone give me information on this error or at least how to find out what it is?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#2emidas(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 12:06:41 PM
Bump
---
#3ShubPosted 6/1/2012 12:09:46 PM
You know it's bad when the first result on Google for "DFTWK is compressed" is this very topic. Sorry, I've never seen this in my life.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4emidas(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 12:20:46 PM
Yeah :/ I've never heard of it, and neither have any of my other IT friends. It'd be one thing if it was an unfixable error or something. But nobodys ever even heard of it.
---
#5Pale HorsemanPosted 6/1/2012 12:27:53 PM
Sorry mate, never heard of it as well. Is it possible for you to give a little bit more info? Like at what point does this happen during boot? Or does it just start up that way?
---
Steam/PSN: SeraphimJulius
Redcount: I lived in a house with two men. Does that make me a gay bigamist?
#6centsyPosted 6/1/2012 12:40:53 PM
If there's no info on google about it, I'm willing to bet it's a specific piece of software. Try going back to a previous restore point, and if that doesn't work, reinstall Windows.
---
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6758/6759.jpg
#7El MagnificoPosted 6/1/2012 12:44:35 PM
It sounds to me like some kind of database file for a program was compressed possibly through the Windows disk compression and the program is not happy about it.

I would troubleshoot by narrowing down what possible processes might be generating the message. First, I would boot in Safe Mode to verify that this isn't coming from some critical Windows process. If it comes up during Safe Mode, then you probably have a fairly big problem that will require repairing or reinstalling Windows. If in the likely scenario that the error doesn't come up, then I would boot back into normal mode and check the event log for hints. If the event log isn't much help, then I would go the trial and error route and disable all the start up programs in msconfig. After each reboot I would enable them one by one until I get the error again to identify which process/program it's coming from. If the error actually happens with all the startup programs disabled, then I would start looking at the services and consider disabling the non-Microsoft ones one at a time after each reboot until the problem goes away. If all of that doesn't get anywhere, then I would give up and backup everything and reinstall Windows since that would probably way faster than tracking down the root cause.
#8emidas(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 12:45:03 PM
I turn the power on, the screen that tells me "press esc to go into setup options" comes on, then it goes to black and displays that message. I ran a memory check and hdd check and both passed. My system does not have an option to system restore, I figure I may have had it off - not sure.

If I could even narrow it down to what the acronym stands for or what part it is related to, that'd be nice. An HP customer support rep had no idea, went to transfer me and dropped my call/hung up on me.
---
#9TravisCombsPosted 6/1/2012 12:45:14 PM
Run "msconfig" and disable everything from the Startup tab that you don't use. From there you can try to troubleshoot what program is causing it.
---
Intel Core i5-760 @ 3.52GHz | 4GB G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 | Radeon HD5670 512MB | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | Antec Neo Eco 520C | Antec 300 Illusion | Windows 7 x64
#10centsyPosted 6/1/2012 12:47:09 PM
It sounds like he can't even get into Windows. You could boot from the Windows disk and try some of the recovery options (startup repair or system restore).
---
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6758/6759.jpg