This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

to everyone that thinks ALIENWARE is ripoff. is this m18x worth it?

#11Benjamin_ButtonPosted 6/1/2012 11:55:34 AM
I guess if you have the money it's worth it... But to me it doesn't seem like the difference between 7970m and 2x 7970m is worth $1000 (for the np9170 vs m18x).

Maybe not for the 7970m crossfire alone but you gotta take into account the other features that go into the final price. Hell id personally pay $200 just for the design and build of the m18x. Its not made of that typical laptop rubber crap.

Also, getting an sli/xfire capable laptop is the way to go. You'd be crippling yourself out of upgrading possibilities. those 7970m's will easily last 3 years at minimum. Then he can upgrade those cards when needed (or when he feels like) for a fraction of the price. Another huge plus about AW laptops is that theyre incredibly easily upgradable.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
#12SgtInfinityPosted 6/1/2012 11:56:07 AM
i always get confused with when people say they have no room for a desktop. Where exactly are you planning on putting this gaming laptop when you play games, on your lap in bed? you'll need a desk regardless.
---
HawkAndAnimal:a Shoryuken is a trowing star used by Ninjas............LOOK IT UP
#13r0ge00Posted 6/1/2012 12:00:19 PM
SgtInfinity posted...
i always get confused with when people say they have no room for a desktop. Where exactly are you planning on putting this gaming laptop when you play games, on your lap in bed? you'll need a desk regardless.

The total footprint of a desktop (tower, monitor, keyboard & mouse) is much larger than that of a laptop (laptop & mouse).
#14ShubPosted 6/1/2012 12:05:01 PM
^ Not to mention the portability. Yes, before anyone brings that up, a laptop like the M18x is large, heavy and has terrible battery life, but it still fits in a backpack, and so long as you're aware of the non-existent battery life and stay close to outlets, that's a non-issue.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15MaestroSSXPosted 6/1/2012 12:23:31 PM
this is sli, dual graphics cards...

do u guys know theres big difference between sager np9170 to the m18x. the closest would be m17x but yeah.idk what else runs dual 7970m's

i guess u guys dont really think the price is good?

why buy mercedes when u can buy honda?

more like, why buy a Mercedes when you can buy a Porsche. when the Porsche has better battery life, build quality, and all around longevity.

But, looking either way, you can get a better car than either for cheeper, but it will have 0 portability being a desktop(one 7970>= 2 7970ms
---
XBox 360
A barbone PC with a gfx card that was outdated years ago
#16Incendia_IntusPosted 6/1/2012 12:28:17 PM
I wish some of the people on this board would take all of their extra money and spend it on typing/English classes.
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 580 1536MB | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair 600T
#17Benjamin_ButtonPosted 6/1/2012 12:33:17 PM
here we go with the car analogies
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
#18VulcharPosted 6/1/2012 12:33:46 PM
MaestroSSX posted...
then get a sager from xotic pc...

Listen to this man. A desktop wasn't practical for me 3 years ago because of how much I traveled. I customized a sager from Xotic that I only just now replaced with a freshly built desktop. Crysis 2 was the first game that I couldn't max on the thing. Not bad for a laptop built in 2008.

Total cost? $1500. Those exact same parts in an alienware would have been pushing $3000.

Xoticpc.com The name sounds horrible but it really is a good place to get a laptop.
#19VulcharPosted 6/1/2012 12:37:21 PM(edited)
SgtInfinity posted...

People that travel and move around. Lugging a tower, monitor, keyboard, speakers etc isn't viable. Only needing to carry around a laptop, laptop cooler, headset and mouse is a lot easier. I got so used to the built-in keyboard on my Sager that I had to buy a flat keyboard for my new desktop because I couldn't go back to the regular, raised keys.
#20_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 6/1/2012 12:37:21 PM
Vulchar posted...
MaestroSSX posted...
then get a sager from xotic pc...

Listen to this man. A desktop wasn't practical for me 3 years ago because of how much I traveled. I customized a sager from Xotic that I only just now replaced with a freshly built desktop. Crysis 2 was the first game that I couldn't max on the thing. Not bad for a laptop built in 2008.

Total cost? $1500. Those exact same parts in an alienware would have been pushing $3000.

Xoticpc.com The name sounds horrible but it really is a good place to get a laptop.

Completely untrue. People really do need to realize Alienware computers are NOT overpriced. You pay for better build quality and better customer support. If anything goes bad with your computer, you have a Dell technician at your house fixing it within a day or two. With xoticpc you need to send your laptop in and it will not be back for up to a month (my friend has a sager).

Plus, with dell, you are allowed to do user modifications to laptops without voiding your warranty. Everything is us upgradable unless you get the smaller m14x.

Pricing out an m17x with a student discount makes it less than $200 more expensive than the sager 9170 both with the 7970m. I'll pay that extra $200 for the build quality alone.
---
http://kigopam.hostoi.com/gallery/UCONNtrickshots.gif
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3918774967_b873628d2e_o_d.jpg