This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

to everyone that thinks ALIENWARE is ripoff. is this m18x worth it?

#21ShubPosted 6/1/2012 11:39:14 AM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Plus, with dell, you are allowed to do user modifications to laptops without voiding your warranty. Everything is us upgradable unless you get the smaller m14x.

Just for the record, that's also true of Sager notebooks.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#22VulcharPosted 6/1/2012 11:40:24 AM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Vulchar posted...
MaestroSSX posted...
then get a sager from xotic pc...

Listen to this man. A desktop wasn't practical for me 3 years ago because of how much I traveled. I customized a sager from Xotic that I only just now replaced with a freshly built desktop. Crysis 2 was the first game that I couldn't max on the thing. Not bad for a laptop built in 2008.

Total cost? $1500. Those exact same parts in an alienware would have been pushing $3000.

Xoticpc.com The name sounds horrible but it really is a good place to get a laptop.

Completely untrue. People really do need to realize Alienware computers are NOT overpriced. You pay for better build quality and better customer support. If anything goes bad with your computer, you have a Dell technician at your house fixing it within a day or two. With xoticpc you need to send your laptop in and it will not be back for up to a month (my friend has a sager).

Plus, with dell, you are allowed to do user modifications to laptops without voiding your warranty. Everything is us upgradable unless you get the smaller m14x.

Pricing out an m17x with a student discount makes it less than $200 more expensive than the sager 9170 both with the 7970m. I'll pay that extra $200 for the build quality alone.

Build quality? You're kidding right? Sager's are built like tanks. The only difference is they don't look like toys with all the neon and alien heads. They look like regular, every day laptops. Oh and the markup. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Alienware's are insanely marked up.

And who the hell needs customer support, outside of a hardware malfunction? People that are enthusiasts enough to be on here or dropping $2500 on a laptop probably know how to build their own desktops. If you know how to do that, which everyone always advocates, you're already your own tech support.
#23pspmaster23(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 11:43:55 AM
u guys do know this is m18x.....dual sli, laptop?

comparing it to sager 17inch is like comparing it to m17x.

im guessing peopple are really stingy when it comes to alienware...

same thing when they see expensive car. everyone thinks its expensive and over price.
but dont apply the luxury of having one.
---
i39.tinypic.com/15zf39y.jpg i40.tinypic.com/vzyq6t.jpg <D2 My Puppie>
Psn Demon_SouL Account made-Dec/06 Youtube.com/Demonsouls15
#24DiehardFFv2Posted 6/1/2012 11:45:49 AM
Vulchar posted...
SgtInfinity posted...
i always get confused with when people say they have no room for a desktop. Where exactly are you planning on putting this gaming laptop when you play games, on your lap in bed? you'll need a desk regardless.

People that travel and move around. Lugging a tower, monitor, keyboard, speakers etc isn't viable. Only needing to carry around a laptop, laptop cooler, headset and mouse is a lot easier. I got so used to the built-in keyboard on my Sager that I had to buy a flat keyboard for my new desktop because I couldn't go back to the regular, raised keys.

You don't even have to travel all that often either. If you've got a good network of like minded friends who enjoy having frequent LAN parties, a gaming notebook is vastly more convenient than a desktop setup.
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#25_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 6/1/2012 11:48:05 AM
Vulchar posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Vulchar posted...
MaestroSSX posted...
then get a sager from xotic pc...

Listen to this man. A desktop wasn't practical for me 3 years ago because of how much I traveled. I customized a sager from Xotic that I only just now replaced with a freshly built desktop. Crysis 2 was the first game that I couldn't max on the thing. Not bad for a laptop built in 2008.

Total cost? $1500. Those exact same parts in an alienware would have been pushing $3000.

Xoticpc.com The name sounds horrible but it really is a good place to get a laptop.

Completely untrue. People really do need to realize Alienware computers are NOT overpriced. You pay for better build quality and better customer support. If anything goes bad with your computer, you have a Dell technician at your house fixing it within a day or two. With xoticpc you need to send your laptop in and it will not be back for up to a month (my friend has a sager).

Pricing out an m17x with a student discount makes it less than $200 more expensive than the sager 9170 both with the 7970m. I'll pay that extra $200 for the build quality alone.

Build quality? You're kidding right? Sager's are built like tanks. The only difference is they don't look like toys with all the neon and alien heads. They look like regular, every day laptops. Oh and the markup. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Alienware's are insanely marked up.

And who the hell needs customer support, outside of a hardware malfunction? People that are enthusiasts enough to be on here or dropping $2500 on a laptop probably know how to build their own desktops. If you know how to do that, which everyone always advocates, you're already your own tech support.

Ok, come to me the next time you fix your own GPU failure issue. Dell will beat your huse within two days with a new GPU. Hardware failure is the only reason you need custom support, and my friend had a ton of hardware issues with a sager bought from xoticpc. First a GPU failure, then his hard drive died, then his motherboard died. All of which had to be replaced, three to four weeks at a time.

And yes higher build quality. Alienware computers do not get as hot as Sagers. He has last years 8170 and his temps are always 10c higher than mine with diamond thermal compound. It's metal vs plastic. And you do not need to have the lights on btw.

And the price difference between the two. The m17x was $1600 for a 7970m after talking to a rep on the phone. The same thing from sager ended up being $1500 with the purchase of windows 7.
---
http://kigopam.hostoi.com/gallery/UCONNtrickshots.gif
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3918774967_b873628d2e_o_d.jpg
#26Incendia_IntusPosted 6/1/2012 11:48:30 AM
u guys do know this is m18x.....dual sli, laptop?

comparing it to sager 17inch is like comparing it to m17x.

im guessing peopple are really stingy when it comes to alienware...

same thing when they see expensive car. everyone thinks its expensive and over price.
but dont apply the luxury of having one.

As long as you're happy with the way you're spending your money, don't worry about it.

That isn't going to keep us from thinking you're stupid, but oh well. You asked for opinions, you got 'em.
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 580 1536MB | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair 600T
#27JonWood007Posted 6/1/2012 12:26:32 PM
Alienware laptops aren't THAT much of a rip off considering the market prices for high end laptops, its their desktops that are the big problems.

That being said, I really don't think spending insane money on any laptop is worth it. I mean, if you're gonna spend below 1k, fine, but gaming laptops cost significantly more than their desktop counterparts and age much more quickly.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768