This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

advantages of having blue ray cd drive?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. advantages of having blue ray cd drive?
3 years ago#1
besides playing blu ray, are u missing alot?
---
i39.tinypic.com/15zf39y.jpg i40.tinypic.com/vzyq6t.jpg <D2 My Puppie>
Psn Demon_SouL Account made-Dec/06 Youtube.com/Demonsouls15
3 years ago#2
Seeing as it wouldn't be good for anything at all other than reading or burning Blu-Ray... No.
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 580 1536MB | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair 600T
3 years ago#3
There's two reasons to have a Blu-Ray drive in a computer these days:
1) Play Blu-Ray movies
2) If you get a Blu-Ray burner, obviously you can burn Blu-Ray discs.
Other than that, no.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
3 years ago#4
Nope. I don't think any PC video games are released on Blu-Ray at this point, and with digital distribution becoming the norm more and more every day, I'm not sure you'll ever see any PC video games released on Blu-Ray.

And I'm pretty sure you have to purchase special software to even watch Blu-Ray movies on your PC (and have HDCP compliant hardware, which basically anything made post-2007 is).

The only reason I can see to purchase a Blu-Ray drive is data backup, but then you'd need to purchase a burner, not just a reader.
3 years ago#5
If you're a XBMC type person, you could rip your HD movies to disk and then serve them via media server. I plan on doing this for my home theater personally.
---
PSN: AlwaysGetsWasted
Xbox Live: BA in BS
3 years ago#6
And I'm pretty sure you have to purchase special software to even watch Blu-Ray movies on your PC (and have HDCP compliant hardware, which basically anything made post-2007 is).

You can get OEM bundles which does bring the cost down, also, in addition to having a HDCP graphics card you must also use either DVI-D (with a HDCP monitor) or HDMI.

But basically, the only reason to get a BD drive is for watching BD and maybe burning, that's it.
---
Gigabyte P45-DS3, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. advantages of having blue ray cd drive?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived