This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best i7 to buy for 250 pounds?

#1silvergokuZPosted 6/1/2012 5:08:48 PM
I have seen the i7 2600k for my price range but not sure how it will perform though I know it will be a huge leap from my Q6600.

Its mostly as I have started using PS2 and Wii emulators now(legit as ripped own bios) and wheras most PS2 games play at good if not perfect framerates the wii is awful.

Also many recent games have the odd framerate drop and want to smooth it out (I am using a 6870 1gb)
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 6/1/2012 9:15:23 PM
It makes more sense to get an i5 2500k and overclock it up to the same level as an i7. They're the same chip, just binned to different standards and tossed in different boxes.
---
Steam sales. There are at least 9 every week, including mid week madness and weekend deals.
#3SamusFarronPosted 6/1/2012 9:33:32 PM(edited)
The i7 will help a lot with the emulators, especially Dolphin - which I believe can be heavily multithreaded. The i5 is still plenty to run it well however.

At any rate, the notion of going with the i5 is probably the better deal. But at the end of the day the i7 isn't that much more, and it is a beefier CPU.

Can't go wrong either way really, it will be a huge step up from the Q6600 just as you guessed. I went from a Q6600 to a i7 2600, and the difference is.....wow. This thing shreds through tasks like butter.

Maybe go with the i5, and spend the saved cash elsewhere? Or get the i7, as in the end it is a better processor? Up to you, and either is an awesome choice.

:)

---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczWtQvMKps&feature=endscreen&NR=1
#4DreDayyPosted 6/1/2012 9:29:56 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
It makes more sense to get an i5 2500k and overclock it up to the same level as an i7. They're the same chip, just binned to different standards and tossed in different boxes.

that is not true at all.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Sargeras/Nastrodamous
Thomas Edward Patrick Brady III is the best of all time.
#5YoungAdultLinkPosted 6/1/2012 10:22:35 PM
DreDayy posted...
YoungAdultLink posted...

that is not true at all.

Okay, there are two other differences. The i7 has an 8MB L3 cache vs the 6MB on the i5 and the i7 has multithreading, while the i5 does not. So I suppose the chip has differences, but the brain part is the same thing with different things mounted around it.

I'm not sure how much hyperthreading is used in emulation nowadays, but I know it only provides modest performance boosts in gaming applications and I really don't expect that many emulators could use more than 4 cores effectively.
---
Steam sales. There are at least 9 every week, including mid week madness and weekend deals.
#6Zero254Posted 6/1/2012 10:38:11 PM
Then how come my i5 has 2 cores and 4 threads?
---
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4318/sadhurtzeldarw8.jpg http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1761/sadhurtzeldaburnbh0.jpg
Official Roll player of vs games.
#7YoungAdultLinkPosted 6/1/2012 11:52:35 PM
The i5 is 4 cores, no hyper threading. Well, the 2nd gen ones. Not sure of the 1st gen i5s. The 2nd gen i7s are 4 cores with 4 additional threads.
---
#8flagg2kplusPosted 6/2/2012 12:39:11 AM
250 pounds seems pretty heavy for a CPU...

I doubt any of the i7's weigh more than an ounce or close to an ounce.
---
Why Mass Effect 3's endings are complete garbage...
gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/2/2012 12:52:53 AM(edited)
So much wrong in this topic...

i7 will not benefit emulation over i5. Grab a i5 2500k or 3570k and overclock it. I'm not sure Dolphin is even dual, much less quad or octo threaded.
Certainly, since the gamecube only has two main processing components(CPU and GPU), it's not going to benefit much from a quadcore, and won't benefit at all from the extra threads of the i7.
PCSX2 is mostly dual threaded with a third thread dedicated to a tiny unit for a very minor performance boost, and a multithreaded rendering engine.(next to no performance impact here.)

After a quick look around, dolphin is dual threaded. You won't benefit from more than 2 threads with it.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#10Soldier3rdClassPosted 6/2/2012 4:56:04 AM
Just get a 2500K is all you want is to play games or play emulators. You'll want to overclock to at least 4GHZ though for some of the more demanding games on pcx2 and dolphin though. Namely Super Mario Galaxy and a few others.
---
2500K @4.5Ghz // GTX 680 2GB // 8GB RAM // Extreme3 Gen3 Mobo