This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how outdated are ps3,360 graphics? yet the games coming out now to the future ..

#51MyDogSkipPosted 6/3/2012 9:55:18 PM
Incidentally, I'll be highly unsurprised if Sony makes the same mistake with PS4 as they did with PS3. That is, trying to simply make a higher-powered copy of a system their competitor (*cough Nintendo cough*) already released. They DID just make the same mistakes with Vita as they did with PSP: simply making a more powerful machine (admittedly with new interactive features, of course) that they proceed to show how comparable it is to something people already have (PS3). Until they learn that portable systems are a separate market from consoles, they're never going to gain any ground in handhelds. Likewise, they need to realize that today's console world requires distinguishing features for your platform to be successful.

Apologies for going off on a tangent here, but it DOES raise a relevant point. Considering they're not in the same place they were in 2005, Sony can't really afford to put out a new console that has cutting-edge hardware. And it's doubtful that Microsoft would want to make something utterly expensive, lest they chase off the "casual" crowd they managed to sway, this generation. Wii U will likely be the console most lacking in power next go-around, but honestly, I'm doubting there will be as big of a gap between the three systems next time. Hence... Wii U (and not PS4 or Xbox 720) could be the LCD for next generation's multiplatform games.

I definitely agree with the power gap statement. The Wii was drastically underpowered spec-wise, whereas PS3 and 360 were logical leaps. If all three consoles can play games at 1080p with 60 FPS, that's enough. I can see Sony making some of the same mistakes because they're kind of a stubborn company. The PSP definitely gained some ground though. Selling 60 million units isn't failure, they just didn't win. I think the Vita incorporates some gorgeous tech, and the real reason it isn't doing so well is because there's no killer apps. For the past few gens, Nintendo's first party software has sold systems. Sony's doesn't do that to such an extent. If Vita had a Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy game, it'd be doing a lot better right now. I think trying to target the multimedia device market with such an expensive device that's really meant for gaming is a mistake, too. They should include the features, but put them on the back burner and focus on the games, like the 3DS.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#52triple sPosted 6/3/2012 9:57:05 PM
BlackMantis posted...
Spanish_Fly1 posted...

GTX 480 is still a pretty solid graphics card. I just bought one last week for 200$ and according to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html it's still in the top 10

It's considered mid-range in today's market and probably the kind of card developers would use for consoles if one were to be released today.

Though it can handle some of today's games at a playable framerate, it simply won't hold up to games that come out 2-3 years from now like today's high end GPU will.

A 460 handles most games maxed at acceptable framerates.
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09
#53BlackMantisPosted 6/3/2012 10:52:21 PM
Depends on what you find acceptable and on what settings.

25-30 fps is on the low end of acceptable for me. Don't get me wrong, it's satisfactory, but give it another year and a half and increasingly demanding games and it just won't be able to keep up.

When I got the GTX 280, it had just come out and I could throw nearly everything at it maxed (with the exception of Crysis). By today's standards, it just doesn't hold up and it's just a matter of time before the 460 slips from the middle of the mid-range to the low end.

It's to be expected though.