This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for college programming courses?

#1ChrazidPosted 6/1/2012 6:19:31 PM
So far I've customized a lenovo I think is fairly cool and good for what I'd use it, and it's within the $600 price range...however it has integrated graphics which is...a slight turnoff for me...I've delt with that before and disliked it.

Is there a decent laptop with dedicated graphics for around $600?

The specs of the lenovo were: i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

If at all possible I'd like the screen to be 15 inches or less, and be anti-glare (instead of glossy/vibrant colors)
#2SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 6:23:27 PM
How much gaming do you plan to do, and on what settings?
---
What's a sig?
#3Chrazid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:28:46 PM
Probably just a few basic flash games, maybe maple story...the highest graphic game I'd even consider putting on it would be WoW, which I'd only want medium at best (I have a gaming desktop, this is primarily for college with the occasional 'fun' game between classes)...nothing very serious at all.
#4MageofBlood391Posted 6/1/2012 6:39:08 PM
If you're willing to wait for a few months, there will be plenty of Ivy Bridge based laptops on the market, which will offer Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. HD 4000 is well more than enough for stuff like MapleStory, or even WoW at lower settings or resolutions.

Alternatively you could look into a laptop with an AMD APU.
---
Smart ninja-type dude.
#5Chrazid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:40:57 PM
When are the ivy bridges supposed to be out, and what's the expected cost of laptops containing them?
#6MageofBlood391Posted 6/1/2012 6:42:55 PM
Ivy Bridge is already out, and laptops using them are periodically coming out. By August or whenever college time rolls around, there'll definitely be laptops using it that you could pick up at BestBuy or wherever. I'm sure Lenovo will have plenty of models to go around. They won't cost any more than Sandy Bridge laptops would cost.
---
Smart ninja-type dude.
#7SpacewhizguyPosted 6/1/2012 6:49:38 PM
Chrazid posted...
Probably just a few basic flash games, maybe maple story...the highest graphic game I'd even consider putting on it would be WoW, which I'd only want medium at best (I have a gaming desktop, this is primarily for college with the occasional 'fun' game between classes)...nothing very serious at all.

The integrated laptops you saw can already handle WoW on medium, and the one that comes with Ivy Bridge will probably do high. I'd definitely wait since they're currently coming out, and college doesn't start until August or September anyway (unless you do summer school).
---
What's a sig?