This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Received first SSD as a gift! (yay) what do I do now? serious help and questions

#1PIITB415Posted 6/1/2012 9:27:42 PM(edited)
First of it says it is backwards capable as it's Sata 3 and my mobo is sata 2. Will it work? jst double checking.

SSD: http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force-series-3-ssd/force-series-3-180gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

MOBO: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58-Pro-E.html#/?div=Basic

Questions: thank you for any input.

1. Currently I have a 500GB HDD which is storing: steam, games, text documents, os, antivirus etc. On the SSD I want to install my OS, Steam/games, browser. How can I do this without clashing my HDD? do I have to delete my OS on HDD so it doesn't tweak on when I install on SDD?

2. If I simply disconnect my HDD while doing a fresh install on the SSD and then reconnect it will I be able to access all my text documents, files, etc? If not, what do I need to do? I do not have an external flash drive

3. Will I be able to use programs simultaneously when both are running? for example, if I have my anti-virus or openhardware monitor on my HDD will it still work and protect everything or do I just have to install it on the ssd?

4. Will I need to download all the drivers for my GPU/MOBO again?

Any other things I need to know before I begin will be much appreciated, thank you for your time.
---
Amorphous GameFAQs Member.
Brake later and open the throttle before normal - Valentino Rossi.
#2TheOppositePosted 6/1/2012 10:20:35 PM
I suggest reinstalling Windows 7 on the SSD. Once you're in Windows you can copy your documents, game saves, music, etc. over to the SSD and then format the hard drive. This way you can use it for storage. I would then put all the music and documents back on the hard drive since they aren't really benefitting from being on the SSD.
#3PIITB415(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 10:38:22 PM
TheOpposite posted...
I suggest reinstalling Windows 7 on the SSD. Once you're in Windows you can copy your documents, game saves, music, etc. over to the SSD and then format the hard drive. This way you can use it for storage. I would then put all the music and documents back on the hard drive since they aren't really benefitting from being on the SSD.

So I can just unplug hdd and once windows is on the ssd I plug the her back and it will show up with everything? Windows on that won't interfere with it?
---
#4SmoboHashPosted 6/1/2012 10:39:49 PM
It won't interfere unless the computer tries to boot from it, which it shouldn't unless you tell it to.
#5BladedShadow0Posted 6/1/2012 10:45:52 PM
It's pretty simple, so pretty much exactly as you said. Unplug HDD, install windows on SSD, plug in HDD after that. You'll have all your documents/games and stuff on the HDD still. The only thing that won't work are programs, you need to reinstall them all. Which is good anyways, faster on the SSD.
#6PIITB415(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 10:46:53 PM
SmoboHash posted...
It won't interfere unless the computer tries to boot from it, which it shouldn't unless you tell it to.

As long as the ssd is boot priority I should be fine, correct? Thanks for the help. Also, is there anything I need to change in BIOS to help the ssd run better.
---
#7WerdnAndreWPosted 6/1/2012 11:05:58 PM
Make sure your sata port which the ssd is connected to is set to AHCI
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k (4.4ghz) ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb 1600 ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Crucial M4 128GB
#8PIITB415(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 11:39:16 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...

That is in BIOS?
---
#9rareware101Posted 6/2/2012 12:18:37 AM
PIITB415 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...

That is in BIOS?

Yes. Then run WEI for it to setup the final settings for your drive (and then double check it actually has disabled defrag on the SSD like its supposed to), disable hibernation, don't move your page file if people suggest it (it defeats the object of having an SSD for many program's that use it and no modern drive will have any issues with keeping it in the default location).
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#10PIITB415(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 12:22:56 AM
rareware101 posted...
PIITB415 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...

That is in BIOS?

Yes. Then run WEI for it to setup the final settings for your drive (and then double check it actually has disabled defrag on the SSD like its supposed to), disable hibernation, don't move your page file if people suggest it (it defeats the object of having an SSD for many program's that use it and no modern drive will have any issues with keeping it in the default location).

WEI ? Is that an actual program I download?
---