Yes you are fine with the dual core for now, but the point is, you aren't going to see the GPU upgrade benefit if you don't have a quad core to go with it...
What's the point in getting the new GPU if the dual core limits you from getting all those extra frames?
So your suggesting to void my original plan & go straight for a CPU upgrade? If we start there what do you suggest? (If you'd please). whatever I'm trying to do, is upgrade to game on that monitor high to max. idk, something like that.
You will see a benefit, it's just that it will be held back by the CPU...Some games will be held back more than others A few games are just also limited by being able to only use 2 cores, Starcraft 2 for example(and Crysis 1, but that's not as extreme as SC2)...In that game, a Sandybridge/Ivybridge would be a big upgrade
I'd suggest you try the new monitor with your current rig, before you settle for upgrading...All games don't show a big difference between medium and high/max, you may find out that you are satisfied with your current HD5770 and Phenom II X2
If you upgrade the CPU, the cheapest(except from successfully unlocking the cores:)) would be to get a Phenom II X4(or X6)...You could do that without having to change the motherboard
Yes, I would like to not change everything like a dominoe effect, so if I did, I would want to go w/ a X4 or X6, unless I attempt to unlock more cores which then I would be good correct?, which all I would have to do is go into the bios & enable unlock cores, & not touch any other options then stress test w/ prime?
If not, I guess I'm back at square one, going straight for the new monitor then.. O.o :p & trying it out..
--- AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
Anything else I should know about unlocking? What about my CPU's stock cooler? Is that all fine for just unlocking? (kinda don't know what I'm talking aboot but stick w/ me here). I'll consider attempting (reading up on it some more now)
BUT if not, I'll just do this.
Try new monitor w/ current rig. If not pleased, by a 6870 followed by a ii X4, sound good?
Don't know if there is any difference between the stock coolers provided with the Phenom II CPUs...You could take a look at your cooler, and compare it pictures showing Phenom II X4 stock coolers If they are the same, it shouldn't be any problems with unlocking the cores on that cooler
Just remember that you most often won't be able to specifically monitor the CPU temps after unlocking, so don't stare yourself blind at the temps
If you are prepared to change the CPU anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't try unlocking the cores first --- Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever! Won't get Battlefield 3 until all DLC is included
If you are prepared to change the CPU anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't try unlocking the cores first
Well if decision comes to upgrade it then yes your right I guess, might as well try but as for now I'm sketchy on it cause I don't want to damage my hardware then be stuck w/ crap for awhile or whatever idk. --- AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD