This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Comparing computers to cars

#21razorracerPosted 6/2/2012 11:08:08 AM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
razorracer posted...
As an auto enthusiast, I somewhat agree to that comparison. I mean graphics cards on PCs are no different than superchargers/turbochargers in cars IMO.

but they don't work the same...

overclocking is = to Superchargers/Turbochargers

The thing is, superchargers and turbochargers are optional parts like graphics cards, but overclocking juices up an already existing part.

If anything, overclocking= ROM tuning
---
Proud PS Vita and 3DS owner
PSN ID: machismo83 Steam ID: razorracer83
#22MachEvolutionPosted 6/2/2012 11:08:27 AM
Making bad analogies does mean the real analogies don't work.

People seem to miss the fact that these are two completely different products used in completely different ways. However there isn't really any other product that you can compare a computer to more accurately than an automobile. Analogies aren't meant to be literal, they're designed to help people understand something by relating it to something else they might already understand or that's at least presented with more clarity. In truth, you can make computer analogies with computers using aspects people understand to relate to those that they don't understand.

But most people have a general understanding of cars and so it's easy to relate the concept about computers you are trying to explain by comparing it to something to do with cars.
#23DiehardFFv2Posted 6/2/2012 11:18:08 AM
Making bad analogies does mean the real analogies don't work.

People seem to miss the fact that these are two completely different products used in completely different ways. However there isn't really any other product that you can compare a computer to more accurately than an automobile. Analogies aren't meant to be literal, they're designed to help people understand something by relating it to something else they might already understand or that's at least presented with more clarity. In truth, you can make computer analogies with computers using aspects people understand to relate to those that they don't understand.

But most people have a general understanding of cars and so it's easy to relate the concept about computers you are trying to explain by comparing it to something to do with cars.

You're grasping at straws. There are tons of holes in the analogy which make it bad.
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#24schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 12:04:50 PM(edited)
Of course there are holes. That's a feature of analogies.

Try explaining molecular biology without using an awful lot of circles and squares that. Your explanation may not be 100% "correct" (like saying GPU =/= Turbocharger and cannot be compared, ever), but it's damn good at explaining something you can't even see through a microscope.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#25MachEvolutionPosted 6/2/2012 12:04:37 PM
It's not about direct similarities, you don't seem to understand what an analogy is. As I said already, it's about relating a concept using a different concept that someone might be more familiar with or that will provide better clarity.
#26DiehardFFv2Posted 6/2/2012 12:08:51 PM(edited)
MachEvolution posted...
It's not about direct similarities, you don't seem to understand what an analogy is. As I said already, it's about relating a concept using a different concept that someone might be more familiar with or that will provide better clarity.

Except that just as few people actually understand anything about cars as they do computers. Most people can't be bothered to do anything more then put gas into their car in terms of keeping it running. The only way the analogy works is to illustrate how inept the average user/owner is.
---
i5 3570k @4.3 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#27schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 12:15:12 PM
DiehardFFv2 posted...
Except that just as few people actually understand anything about cars as they do computers. Most people can't be bothered to do anything more then put gas into their car in terms of keeping it running. The only way the analogy works is to illustrate how inept the average user/owner is.

It sounds like you're basing the definition of an analogy on your own experiences with stupid people.
---
#28MachEvolutionPosted 6/2/2012 12:16:11 PM
If you're talking to people that ignorant then you're better off telling them the computer just runs on magic. Chances are they'll believe you.

Most of the computer/car analogies that are made are in relation to values of various items. Somebody might not know how a car works, but they know a Ferrari is a lot more expensive than they Civic and a lot more powerful as well.

You are the one who is actually grasping at straws.
#29DiehardFFv2Posted 6/2/2012 1:16:37 PM
DiehardFFv2 posted...

It sounds like you're basing the definition of an analogy on your own experiences with stupid people.

Unless you only interact with people who frequent computer forums or car forums, your experiences would most likely be the same. There is a very distinct reason why automotive shops are able to charge such high labor markups and charge at least double for parts.

As for your hurr durr simplified version Mach, that could be expanded to just about anything in such a base form meaning that the argument that an automobile is the best analogy moot. For example, boats, planes, athletes, the list goes on. Anything that has a disparity in both cost and performance could be substituted. Also, I have yet to see a refutation of my initial point.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#30schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 1:21:03 AM
DiehardFFv2 posted...
For example, boats, planes, athletes, the list goes on.

Absolutely. But seeing as the majority of the population has car ownership in common, rather than planes and athletic skills, it serves as a good entry point for computer analogies. I don't know where you're from, with people apparently so stupid they can't tell the difference between wheels and rear lights, but I think just about anyone I know would catch my drift if I said "a CPU is like an engine". They wouldn't look confused and start asking "but does it also run on gasoline?"
---