This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Using a generic dirt cheap 500w psu for a Q8300 and 8800GT for a few days, wise?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Using a generic dirt cheap 500w psu for a Q8300 and 8800GT for a few days, wise?

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
4 years ago#1
Selling pc to a friend and currently had a HD 3400 in the unit that obv used no real power.

But he wanted a better card but I have RMA'd my 2 broken psu's I have had for a while which are OCZ StealthXstream to the company I purchased from but as its a holiday weekend wont get them till next Thursday but my friend wants pc TODAY.

I have put in this card as a temp measure but as the psu cost about 15(about $20) worried it might mess up if its under load.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
4 years ago#2
Should at least last you till you can replace it.
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard -ToastyOne
It's impossible to insert another motherboard into one of the DIMM slots -Wraithdagger44

User Info: 60secondAssasin

60secondAssasin
4 years ago#3
can't be much worse than an old stealthxstream. don't run furmark and it might do fine while you await a replacement.
"There is nothing new under EA." - Fony
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2363251

User Info: FF4Fan1313

FF4Fan1313
4 years ago#4
My advice - don't. Kindly tell your friend that it simply won't happen today. Frankly, when you start pushing into the 10 and 20 dollar PSUs, you start getting a lot of sketchy stuff - short cables, fireworks-in-a-box, etc. If your friend is angry, tell him about how a bad PSU can destroy every other component in the computer - that should scare him off.
GW2 - The last time I was this excited for a game was never!
Judge the Catholic Church by its saints, not by its hypocrites.

User Info: Cobra152004

Cobra152004
4 years ago#5
I wouldn't recommend it. I know better after having an supposedly 400 watt Codegen go bad in an old socket A Athlon XP 2200+ system with an AGP 6800GS. The Codegen PSU was included with a case for about $40. I used it to transplant everything from an HP Pavilion 543x into after taking a Dremel tool to the empty case. It lasted several months.
I should have noticed that the wires on the Codgen were smaller gauge than those on the stock 200 watt Bestec/HP PSU. The failing Codgen could have taking the rest of the system with it, but didn't hurt anything else. I was lucky.
I now use an FPS Group ATX400-PA 400W power supply in that old system:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104952
The FSP still works great. 29 amps on the 12volt is overkill for that system, since socket A CPUs run off of the 5v rail.

TL; DR version: Don't do it. A failing PSU can take the rest of the system with it. Generic PSUs have inflated ratings and can be of dangerous quality.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Using a generic dirt cheap 500w psu for a Q8300 and 8800GT for a few days, wise?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived