This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AMD A4 or A6 vs intel i3 or i5?

#1nehukogPosted 6/2/2012 9:17:29 AM
I know usually the intel is rated better, but isn't the AMD A6 a quad core, so by default it should beat both the i3 and the i5 which are both dual cores? How would you guys rate these processors (assuming same clock speed)
#2kidersxPosted 6/2/2012 9:22:42 AM(edited)
but isn't the AMD A6 a quad core, so by default it should beat both the i3 and the i5 which are both dual cores

It doesn't work like that.

In this case, it's important to know if the i3/i5 machine has a dedicated GPU or not.
---
Athlon II 630, HD6870, 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
#3SmoboHashPosted 6/2/2012 9:22:57 AM
Is this for laptops? i5s are quad cores on the desktop. Anyway, i5 is always better than any AMD A-series unless you need to good integrated graphics. Two more cores doesn't help when most applications don't use them well enough to outweigh the difference in processor speed.
#4nehukog(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 9:41:23 AM
yes, assume for laptops. And good to know about the intel being better. My freind was trying to argue that the A6 was quad core and thus is better than the dual core i5, and the only reason you pay more for an i5 laptop is cause they usually have 6GB of RAM on them, and intel costs more
#5NicoC96Posted 6/2/2012 11:42:47 AM(edited)
Atom, Pentium and E-Series are not worth it in a laptop.
A4 and A6 only if they are cheaper than the i3 or i5.
The A8 and i3 are on par with each other.
The i5 is better than the above.
i7 is the best.
Don't look at cores, the architecture is what counts. Intel is better with high end stuff, but AMD makes decent budget stuff. They tend to clash in the middle with the A8 and i3, the A8 is a APU so it is better with graphics but the i3 is a true CPU so it is faster with processing everything.