This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bad Company 2 Has Been Stressin My Hardware.

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 6/2/2012 2:23:46 PM(edited)
At least I think it has been, ever since I started playing Bad Company 2 (high settings) @ 1440x900 I've had about 12+ hours of playtime but within all that time about two crashes two the desktop and just now a complete shutdown, I couldn't see what the temps (which usually stay under 60c on top of my case fans being on high already) were at, I assumed it was my crap unbranded 580w PSU finally failing but I'm back on my computer, so I assume the PSU is fine...for now. So what happened? It was a complete black out, no BSOD notifications. I'm scared to fire her up again. (the game).

Should I just hold off & get a new PSU in a couple days?
Thoughts? & thank you.

---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#2daremePosted 6/2/2012 2:21:48 PM
Is your graphics card overclocked? If so put it back to stocks and it will probably solve the problem of stressing out your old psu.
#3EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 2:22:51 PM
dareme posted...
Is your graphics card overclocked? If so put it back to stocks and it will probably solve the problem of stressing out your old psu.

No, it's not.
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#4MrEverdredPosted 6/2/2012 2:50:33 PM(edited)
Install open hardware monitor ( http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ ), it sits in the tray and keeps track of your temps, usage%, etc. You can check the max temp your card/cpu reached while playing so you can at least know if things are getting too hot or not. You could also install MSI afterburner to see the temp in game but I wouldn't recommend it because it causes BC2 to crash on my system.
---
Phenom II X4 960T | 8GB Mushkin Silverline | XFX HD 6850
Add me on BC2 & BF3: xEverdred
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/2/2012 2:56:04 PM
Get a new PSU. Shutting down at random is a sign it's not safely delivering power to the system.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#6EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 3:27:42 PM(edited)
Anyone have any idea's?

I just pulled out my PSU & I thought it was unbranded because when it's installed there is no label on the side showing, turns out the label was on the inside, (took picture) is this a good PSU for my rig?

http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/?action=view&current=SAM_2945.jpg

IF it's that's not it then what? Obviously it shut itself down to protect itself, it is a hot day here in the desert but like I said my temps never go over 60c while in the heat of gaming, I also have two fans on high & a side ventilation. If it's the GPU heating up how do I check temps for that?

I guess I should just start playing again & monitor the temps? I never had temp problems before, the PSU is about 4 months old.

(EDIT) @ MrEverdred.
I'm currently using coretemp but OK, what are considered dangerous temps for a GPU? on the desktop alone it's idles at 50 based off your open hardware app, even w/ the side of the case opened as well.

---
#7MrEverdredPosted 6/2/2012 3:06:17 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8MrEverdredPosted 6/2/2012 3:11:48 PM(edited)
coretemp only monitors your cpu temps, open hardware monitor tracks hdd, mobo, cpu, core and gpu temps. Temperature probably isn't your issue anyway because your GPU would just malfunction if it was too hot but for the amount of effort it takes to check, there's no reason not to.

edit:: my gpu idles around 42-45c and hits 68-71 while gaming with stock fan settings, it's gotten up to 74c once after a long session of BF3 and abnormally high room temps. I'm no expert so I can't really say for sure what your temps should be but 50c seems a little bit on the high side for just idling.
---
Phenom II X4 960T | 8GB Mushkin Silverline | XFX HD 6850
Add me on BC2 & BF3: xEverdred
#9daremePosted 6/2/2012 3:19:28 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Anyone have any idea's?

I just pulled out my PSU & I thought it was unbranded because when it's installed there is no label on the side showing, turns out the label was on the inside, (took picture) is this a good PSU for my rig?

http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/?action=view&current=SAM_2945.jpg

IF it's that's not it then what? Obviously it shut itself down to protect itself, it is a hot day here in the desert but like I said my temps never go over 60c while in the heat of gaming, I also have two fans on high & a side ventilation. If it's the GPU heating up how do I check temps for that?

I guess I should just start playing again & monitor the temps? I never had temp problems before, the PSU is about 4 months old.

(EDIT) @ MrEverdred.

I'm currently using coretemp but OK, what are considered dangerous temps for a GPU? on the desktop alone it's idles at 50 based off your open hardware app.

Overheating could indeed be your problem. My 5750 isles at 39-41C. If yours is idling that high it's possible that it gets too hot at load and the computer shuts down to prevent any damage.

It would have to be a pretty poor PSU to be struggling with wattage, but its also possible.

I dunno if this is recommended but if you try underclocking your gpu you would be treating both potential problems.
#10EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 4:06:13 PM
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/PrintScreen-1.png

Well I have never had temp problems before, especially w/ this GPU, I've owned this GPU for about a year (bought it used, some guy tried to crossfire it I believe w/ another 5770 but wasn't pleased), & I've been threw countless of games w/ it as well in all that time, especially games like Crysis. Above is a screenshot of OpenHardware & my temps.
---