This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bad Company 2 Has Been Stressin My Hardware.

#21SmoboHashPosted 6/2/2012 4:30:45 PM
I recommend using MSI Afterburner's custom fan curve option so you can keep idle noise as low as possible while still cooling your card sufficiently when it matters.
#22Jason_HudsonPosted 6/2/2012 4:36:22 PM
Well, if you have fans it might also be dust clogging them up. My old computer started shutting itself off when I was playing WoW - fans were clogged up with dust. Cleaning them out fixed the issue.

However, looking at a new PSU may also be a good thing.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest MW3 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#23EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 4:46:35 PM
NeoBillbine posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
That PSU only has 19a on the 12v rail. That's 228w between your CPU, GPU, and most of your system.
While that's probably enough under normal circumstances, that it's being called a 580w PSU when even the combined total ampere load barely breaks 550w suggests it's a terrible quality unit.
It's pretty doubtful that your entire system would shut off because your GPU overheated. Replace that PSU.

Alright well that is what I will do if that's the problem.
Any suggestions?

I got about $80, that enough?
Also should I not do any gaming till I replace it?

As for the GPU fan % suggestion, any guidance how to do that & are there any consequences?

No consequences, you can undo the changes easily.

1. Right click on you Windows Desktop.
2. Choose Catalyst Control Center from the right click menu.
3. Once CCC appears go to the Performance Tab on the menu on the left.
4. You will be asked to accept a user agreement, once you do you will be provided
with some sliders to adjust gpu clock, memory, and fan speed.
5. Change your fan settings and apply changes.

Now the steps above are from Catalyst 11.11 so it may have changed by now. Sorry about that since I use an Nvidia card now.

Alright Neo, I can't thank you enough for all your help as you described is how I got there, so what I just slide the fan setting (leave the other sliders alone) to what percentage, max? (it claims it's at 40% right now I believe.). & so you know I will be getting your 2nd PSU suggestion! I started looking into reviews on the brand of my GPU (Biostar) & I've seen some negative input that it idles at 55c if that means anything.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/Overdrive.png
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#24NeoBillbinePosted 6/2/2012 5:01:12 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
NeoBillbine posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
That PSU only has 19a on the 12v rail. That's 228w between your CPU, GPU, and most of your system.
While that's probably enough under normal circumstances, that it's being called a 580w PSU when even the combined total ampere load barely breaks 550w suggests it's a terrible quality unit.
It's pretty doubtful that your entire system would shut off because your GPU overheated. Replace that PSU.

Alright well that is what I will do if that's the problem.
Any suggestions?

I got about $80, that enough?
Also should I not do any gaming till I replace it?

As for the GPU fan % suggestion, any guidance how to do that & are there any consequences?

No consequences, you can undo the changes easily.

1. Right click on you Windows Desktop.
2. Choose Catalyst Control Center from the right click menu.
3. Once CCC appears go to the Performance Tab on the menu on the left.
4. You will be asked to accept a user agreement, once you do you will be provided
with some sliders to adjust gpu clock, memory, and fan speed.
5. Change your fan settings and apply changes.

Now the steps above are from Catalyst 11.11 so it may have changed by now. Sorry about that since I use an Nvidia card now.

Alright Neo, I can't thank you enough for all your help as you described is how I got there, so what I just slide the fan setting (leave the other sliders alone) to what percentage, max? (it claims it's at 40% right now I believe.). & so you know I will be getting your 2nd PSU suggestion! I started looking into reviews on the brand of my GPU (Biostar) & I've seen some negative input that it idles at 55c if that means anything.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/Overdrive.png

Try 55% on the fan slider so it does not get too loud and see if it gets any better. Concerning your gpu there are quite a few user comments on several forums about it being hot at idle.
---
i7 2700K, ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PRO, NH-D14, 16 GB G.Skill
Ripjaws DDR3, GTX680, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Asus Xonar DG, Corsair HX650, Arc Midi
#25EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 5:33:42 PM
@NeoBillbine

I just put it at 100% lol, not a peep to be honest. & I've noticed a few clicks down on the temps. So I started playing some BC2 for about 20mins just now & I'm sure it's safe to say that the malfunction was w/ the PSU.

Here is a pic of my temps after about 20 minutes of BC2.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/BC2temps-1.jpg?t=1338687108
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#26NeoBillbinePosted 6/2/2012 6:03:32 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
@NeoBillbine

I just put it at 100% lol, not a peep to be honest. & I've noticed a few clicks down on the temps. So I started playing some BC2 for about 20mins just now & I'm sure it's safe to say that the malfunction was w/ the PSU.

Here is a pic of my temps after about 20 minutes of BC2.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Epic-Kingdom/BC2temps-1.jpg?t=1338687108

If you are now sure that the psu is the one malfunctioning. You should get a new psu immediately, do you have any preferences(modular or non-modular). As the power supplies I listed before were not modular here is one that is, so it will make cable management easier. The price of $60 is good considering it is over $20 more at other vendors.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67324&vpn=HCG%2D520M&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1068
---
i7 2700K, ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PRO, NH-D14, 16 GB G.Skill
Ripjaws DDR3, GTX680, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Asus Xonar DG, Corsair HX650, Arc Midi
#27Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/2/2012 6:08:28 PM
Run occt's psu stress test..

http://downloads.guru3d.com/OCCT-(OverClock-Checking-Tool)-3.0.0-download-1880.html
---
2700K @ 4.5ghz(1.28v) | Sapphire 7970 Crossfire @ 1125/1500 | Samsung 830 SSD | 8GB Sniper | 500R | Corsair 850AX | Windblowz 7 Pro
#28EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2012 6:37:06 PM(edited)
@NeoBillbine posted
I think the PSU has to be it,
Knowledge for PSU's are my weak point, to be honest I don't know what modular or non-modular means, I would like anything that is just a simple install for my rig, but obviously a PSU that I will be a workforce for 60-80$.

---
#29Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/2/2012 6:30:04 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
@NeoBillbine posted

Knowledge for PSU's are my weak point, to be honest I don't know what modular or non-modular means, I would like anything that is just a simple install for my rig, but obviously a PSU that I will be a workforce for 60-80$.

Modular is when you can attach the cables, use the ones you need.. don't connect the ones you don't.. basically it makes your cable management easier, non modular is cheaper but also gives you extra cables you have to hide cause they are of no use.

For your budget, you'll be going the modular route.

for 80 bucks you can pick up the Corsair 650w modular HX650 unit, I think it's on sale @ Newegg or Amazon for that much.
---
2700K @ 4.5ghz(1.28v) | Sapphire 7970 Crossfire @ 1125/1500 | Samsung 830 SSD | 8GB Sniper | 500R | Corsair 850AX | Windblowz 7 Pro
#30DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/2/2012 6:51:43 PM
Don't run OCCT's PSU test. It's for making sure good quality units aren't malfunctioning, not for testing crap quality units. In either case, it's capable of causing the PSU to damage your system.
Pick out a PSU that isn't garbage, order it, turn your computer off, turn off the power switch, unplug it, remove your PSU, dispose of it as far away from anything flammable as you can, and wait for your new one to arrive.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!