This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, it's a satisfying feeling when you finally get a game working right.

#1mugen_speedPosted 6/3/2012 12:48:46 AM
I bought Bastion as part of the humble indie bundle and when I loaded it up it didn't feel right. I own Bastion on XBL and have beaten it twice, so I know what the game should feel like, and the pc version felt slow and jittery. The background flickered and hurt my eyes after just a minute of playing it, and the framerate was hovering around an odd 42. I booted up the Xbox and compared the two to make sure I wasn't going crazy and despite having way superior textures, my pc version played very poorly. After a bit of googling I dug up some variables to input into the launch options on steam that 100% fixed my problems! Bastion now plays beautifully at a stable 60fps, and I don't think I'll ever touch the xbl version again!

The main thing that had deterred me from pc gaming in the past was this sort of problem. I had always seemed to get unlucky with my computer games, and the "insert disc and hit play" ease of console gaming was nice. But with a little bit of work, the end result is much more satisfying. Has anyone ever shared the same feelings?
---
http://www.last.fm/user/MugenZer0
#2Marioface5Posted 6/3/2012 12:52:10 AM
Now I'm questioning if I've been playing a slow version of Bastion or not. I mean, I don't think I have, but now I can't help but wonder.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#3ipwnu713Posted 6/3/2012 1:05:40 AM
It's like a roller coaster (not sure if that's a good comparison). First you feel dumb cause you can't solve the problem. Then you feel great after solving it, and doing whatever you were trying to do feels great. Then, sometimes, you feel dumb again for not solving it sooner.
---
Dell Inspiron 620: 3.3GHz i3 2120 - Sapphire HD 7750 - 4GB RAM - 1TB HDD - HP w19 & eMachines E19T6W 1440x900 Monitors
#4ShadowSkill11Posted 6/3/2012 1:23:46 AM
Knowing how to setup and configure a computer from the start helps. I pretty much have zero problems with my main pc or laptop with any games.

...well there was an issue with my laptop showing a black rectangle in 3D mode but I managed to alter a dll the display driver uses to solve that issue. But I digress.
#5BeanCounter64Posted 6/3/2012 1:28:03 AM(edited)
Yeah, I share your sentiments. I particularly felt good when I made Dead Space run flawlessly after using the help of D3DOverrider. This is no thanks to CCC's force Vsync option that never seems to work.

My problem was: I could use Vsync in-game, but the load times were unbearable (I'm talking minutes), or I could play without Vsync enabled in-game and the graphics would glitch like crazy. Both of these situations made the game unplayable, but for different reasons.
---
"The Wii board - where some people go to be trolls, and others go to be trolled." (LimblessQuasar 2011)
Playing Anno 1404: Can I produce spices yet?
#6ConkerPosted 6/3/2012 1:36:35 AM
I do feel good when I fix an issue, but at the same time I get frustrated at the fact it was ever an issue to begin with that was not my fault.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/3/2012 1:58:18 AM
Doesn't the game have a fixed ticrate for a reason?
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#8snesmaster40Posted 6/3/2012 2:07:28 AM
BeanCounter64 posted...
Yeah, I share your sentiments. I particularly felt good when I made Dead Space run flawlessly after using the help of D3DOverrider. This is no thanks to CCC's force Vsync option that never seems to work.

My problem was: I could use Vsync in-game, but the load times were unbearable (I'm talking minutes), or I could play without Vsync enabled in-game and the graphics would glitch like crazy. Both of these situations made the game unplayable, but for different reasons.

Interesting, I didn't know v-sync could mess with loading times
---
SRWG-W - http://www.srwg-w.org/
Are we not men?
#9BeanCounter64Posted 6/3/2012 3:27:52 AM
^only time I have experienced it is with Dead Space. The problem disappears if you enable v sync externally to the game.
---
"The Wii board - where some people go to be trolls, and others go to be trolled." (LimblessQuasar 2011)
Playing Anno 1404: Can I produce spices yet?
#10RhytenPosted 6/3/2012 3:31:17 AM
Dead space 1 and 2 run at 30 fps if you use the in-game v-sync. So enabling it externally is much better.
---
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz | EVGA Gtx 570 1280 Mb | 8 Gb DDR 3 1333 Mhz | WD 1 Tb 7200 Rpm SATA 3 | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900