This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which fans to connect to a fan controller?

#1GietzyPosted 6/3/2012 9:43:32 AM
Hi. I've just overclocked my cpu and have decided to improve my cooling. I'm pimping out the case fans on my HAF X and want to know which ones I should connect to my fan controller.

I'm getting a 5 fan controller and the fans I will have are:

1 front intake
1 side intake
2 roof output
1 rear output
2 CPU fans on my thermaltake frio

I was thinking the 2 cpu fans, the side intake and the 2 roof outputs.

Your thoughts?
---
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
PSN/Live/Steam: Willavom
#2SletlitePosted 6/3/2012 9:54:29 AM
I would put hook up all your fans except your CPU heatsink fans, as those are probably controlled by PWM anyway.
---
evga GTX 570 OC | Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100 | 8GB DDR3 1333 | 60gb SSD, 2x320gb HDD | Corsair CX600 PSU | NZXT Phantom
#3Cobra152004Posted 6/3/2012 9:58:48 AM
The CPU fans could be daisy chained together depending on wattage limitations. I normally see dual CPU fans ran at the same speed so they don't fight each other to flow well.
#4Gietzy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 10:49:59 AM
One other issue is that the 2 fans on my cpu cooler are of the 4 pin variety and my fan controller only accepts 3 pin connectors. Can someone direct me to a converter (preferably a UK site but anywhere is fine).

p.s. I don't mean 4 pin molex, I mean 4 pin cpu fan mobo connector.
---
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
#5Gietzy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 1:17:30 PM
Bump
---
#6mx3orangePosted 6/3/2012 5:09:59 PM(edited)
Gietzy posted...
One other issue is that the 2 fans on my cpu cooler are of the 4 pin variety and my fan controller only accepts 3 pin connectors. Can someone direct me to a converter (preferably a UK site but anywhere is fine).

p.s. I don't mean 4 pin molex, I mean 4 pin cpu fan mobo connector.

The 4pin fans should connect to the motherboard

EDIT: what mobo do you have?
---
i5 2500k| Hyper 212+| Gigabyte Z68A-D3H|12GB RAM|GTX 460|Samsung 830 64GB SSD
http://i.imgur.com/5w9qa.png
#7Gietzy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 1:04:55 AM
I think you've misunderstood, sorry if I wasn't very clear. My CPU fans do connect to the mobo. It's the fan controller they don't connect to.
---
#8Cobra152004Posted 6/4/2012 9:12:07 AM(edited)
Any 4 pin fans I have ever seen that are not Molex have been keyed to be able to put onto a three pin fan connection anyway. They are just controlled through voltage instead of PWM. You could test the fans on a 3 pin connection of the fan controller or on your motherboard to make sure.
I think this adapter should work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200455
It has exposed pins where the fans go so there will be room for the fourth pin to hang off of the edge without hurting anything. The single three pin end should fit onto your fan controller well. Just make sure to have both fans over the exposed pins so nothing gets shorted out.

Edit: This 4 pin connector should work if the fan controller is wide enough to let the fourth pin hang over the edge:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-071-AK

If you go with a 3 pin adapter, either make sure the fan connections are exposed to allow the fourth pin to hang over the edge or cut off the plastic shield partially to provide clearance.