This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a better/easier to manage and track game saves?

#1MiIkManPosted 6/3/2012 2:43:48 PM
Whether it's Steam or non-Steam games, game saves are all over the place. Every game has it's save in a different place and for some of them, I can't even locate them.

Also when it comes down to moving games from SSD to HDD and External HDD, it's a real pain to track and manage game saves along with the actual game install.

Is there a trick to managing this that I'm not aware of?
---
Drink your milk!
#2youngfossilPosted 6/3/2012 2:49:51 PM
Nope no trick. It's actually a big problem.
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#3Nazgl5LordofNazPosted 6/3/2012 2:57:51 PM(edited)
The only method I know of is making a list of every single game you have installed (go through your steam directory and program files), and then start hunting for the saves.

They're almost always in one of these places:
(user)\AppData\Roaming
(user)\Saved Games
My Documents\(game, publisher, or something with "games" in it)

Or the games installation directory. There may be some exceptions, as every dev picks a different place. You just have to tick them off.

Maybe make a table in Excel with the directory for every game to save yourself time later?
---
*waits until someone says something funny to quote*
#4MiIkMan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 3:05:10 PM
From: Nazgl5LordofNaz | Posted: 6/3/2012 3:56:41 PM | #003
They're almost always in one of these places:
(user)\AppData
(user)\Saved Games
My Documents\(game, publisher, or something with "games" in it)

Ok, but let's say I want to remove the game from my HDD and transfer it to an external HDD. But, I want to keep my saved game Now lets say later on down the road, I want to re-install my game with the game save. If I do keep track like you suggested, can I just add the game save back to the original folder I found it in and it will work just fine?

Hope that makes sense.
---
Drink your milk!
#5Nazgl5LordofNazPosted 6/3/2012 3:08:23 PM
That will usually work. However, I've found a few cases where making a folder before running the game for the first time will actually cause some serious issues. I'm not sure which games did this (it's been a while), but to be safe I usually run the game once, then quit and copy them over.

As long as the OS is the same, moving the files into the same folder you found them in but on a new hard drive should work fine.
---
*waits until someone says something funny to quote*