This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trouble getting USB thumb drives to work with an oldish PC.

#1The cranky hermitPosted 6/3/2012 2:43:45 PM
I've been trying to bring some documents to an acquaintance's Pentium D running WinXP on my flash drive, but whenever we plug it in, it brings up the "found new hardware" wizard and asks for drivers, which it cannot find. It's a Patriot Supersonic Pulse, and according to Patriot's website, it is supposed to work on Windows XP without any drivers. It is a USB 3.0 device, but I'm pretty sure it's backwards compatible. I'm only running 2.0 myself, I think, also on WinXP.

What we wind up doing is going to his other PC, which is actually even older, and using it to transfer files from my thumb drive to his thumb drive, which is an unremarkable looking 2GB thing. The other PC recognizes the new drive right away.

It's not just the Patriot that doesn't work either. I brought over another 16GB drive, brand unknown, and it had the same problem.

Any suggestions on what to do? I tried checking the device manager, and the only devices reported as not working were the Patriot stick itself, and the floppy drive, which (I think) rules out the possibility that the machine needs USB controller drivers.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!