This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good stress test for memory timings?

#1DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/3/2012 8:04:39 PM
I got all jelly of everyone's low-latency DDR3 and decided to try "overclocking" it again, since I haven't really bothered in a while, and never used more than 1.6v to do it, and on top of that, it was on a CPU that may have had a low-binned IMC.(like the rest of the CPU)

So I'm running 7-8-7-20@1.6v. It was doing just dandy in Memtest86+, but something tells me that if I can boot into memtest, and my memory isn't defective, it's not going to catch any errors.
What's a good test for memory timing stability? Just Prime95?
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#2link510Posted 6/3/2012 8:26:15 PM
Have you seen any real performance increase with our oc, whether synthetic or real world? Or is it really more of a fun side thing like everyone says?
#3DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 8:30:57 PM
Which OC?
With the memory? **** no. There's almost no real-world difference. You might see improvements in minimum framerates, especially with games that use more video memory than your card has, but under normal circumstances, even synthetic benchmarks show very little difference.
Anything else?
Performance scales linearly until another component restricts it.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#4link510Posted 6/3/2012 8:35:20 PM(edited)
Nope, just wondering about the memory. I didn't really expect anything of it out of real world tests, but I had no idea about whether it would make a difference in synthetic benchmarks or not.

Edit: Did memory oc'ing ever lead to big improvements? Back in the days of DDR and DDR2? I wasn't really on the scene back then.
#5DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 8:35:08 PM
It's pretty small. 5007 -> 5012 kind of difference.
---
mmarkster posted...
#6MyDogSkipPosted 6/3/2012 8:35:38 PM
Which OC?
With the memory? **** no. There's almost no real-world difference. You might see improvements in minimum framerates, especially with games that use more video memory than your card has, but under normal circumstances, even synthetic benchmarks show very little difference.
Anything else?
Performance scales linearly until another component restricts it.

I figured that was the case. It'd probably be fun to OC, but I can't really justify it if there's no performance increase and I still have work to do with the CPU and GPU.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#7gigapuddiPosted 6/3/2012 9:07:43 PM(edited)
you guys seriously care about stuff like this?

lol
#8MyDogSkipPosted 6/3/2012 8:57:44 PM
you neckbeards seriously give a f*** about s*** like this?

lol

It's a hobby. Much like supercharging a car. Are you ever going to use all that power? No, but it's still fun to do and to brag about. In fact, doing this with computer hardware is much more productive than trying to power up your car.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#9gigapuddiPosted 6/3/2012 9:01:52 PM

lol

It's a hobby. Much like supercharging a car. Are you ever going to use all that power? No, but it's still fun to do and to brag about. In fact, doing this with computer hardware is much more productive than trying to power up your car.

it's not at all like supercharging a car because OCing your RAM gives no tangible benefits.

but i see what you're saying.
#10link510Posted 6/3/2012 9:02:18 PM
gigapuddi posted...

lol

We're the losers, the one's discussing our hobbies like normal people enjoying conversation, not you, the jerk off who comes onto a PC message board for video games to insult people over the internet?

Oh wait, I forgot. The overuse of cursing makes you cool. 2 swear words in one sentence is like what, double coolness points?