This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This sucks!

#1xxghost12xxPosted 6/3/2012 9:24:48 PM
Well I just graduated High School this past Friday and I got a Macbook Pro as one of my graduation gifts. I am very grateful that my parents got this Macbook Pro for me but I kind of wanted a computer where I can game on. Can anyone recommend me a decent gaming laptop that I could buy? I wish I could refund this computer and get one but that would be very rude and ungrateful so I am not so I am going to save up some of my graduation money to buy a gaming laptop.
---
PSN: [R3D]LiquidSnake3465 -- Site: official-R3D.forumotions.com
#2link510Posted 6/3/2012 9:31:14 PM(edited)
Isn't it kind of rude to just buy another laptop and not use the one they got you? It should've came with, what, a 5750m or 5770m? Those are both decent gaming cards. You could game on low settings with those. What's the resolution on your macbook? Lowering the res will make any game playable, and most would be fine at 1080p.

Edit: Sorry, I guess it depends on the model you got. I take it it didn't come with one of those cards then? My bad. But yeah, I still think selling it wouldn't be any ruder than buying a different one.
#3Milenko2121Posted 6/3/2012 9:32:31 PM
return it and buy the upgraded version?
---
Flatland BMX - "Girls come and go, but Bikes are Forever"
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/Milenko2121/Flatland/
#4xxghost12xx(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2012 9:33:37 PM
Yea, I see what you mean I just hate how apple restricts you from editing hardware so I am stuck with an Intel HD 3000 graphics card, everything else is good on these computers but the graphics card.
---
PSN: [R3D]LiquidSnake3465 -- Site: official-R3D.forumotions.com
#5MyDogSkipPosted 6/3/2012 9:48:03 PM(edited)
Eww you got one without a dedicated GPU? (Hey, it's not ungrateful if I say it.) Macs are overpriced but they do have good hardware if you get the right model. Case in point, I have a late 2009 15" MBP with a 2.8 GHz Core II Duo and a Geforce 9600M; it runs Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, and other fairly recent games at medium settings despite being 3 years old. Definitely gotta put Windows on these things, though. The hardware is actually about as upgradeable (aftermarket) as other laptops. You can upgrade the ram, HDD, optical drive, etc. Most laptops tend to only allow that much without heavy disassembly. I put 8 GB of ram and a SSD in mine.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#6JKatarnPosted 6/4/2012 12:12:49 AM
Man, kids these days are spoiled, a MacBook Pro for graduating high school? I think I received a printer and a few other small things (though my sister did grace me with the then new original x-box, for which I was grateful)
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#7MyDogSkipPosted 6/4/2012 12:14:40 AM
Some kids get cars and the like for graduating high school. A laptop costs less than that (well.. depending on the car, a MBP may cost more...) and is pretty much necessary for college.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#8gigapuddiPosted 6/4/2012 12:19:15 AM
Tell them to return it and say you want to wait for the MacBook Pro refresh, but during that intermission convince them to buy you a cool, heavy Sager with amazing battery life because gaming is very important when you're in college.
#9spardasiegPosted 6/4/2012 1:12:13 AM
JKatarn posted...
Man, kids these days are spoiled, a MacBook Pro for graduating high school? I think I received a printer and a few other small things (though my sister did grace me with the then new original x-box, for which I was grateful)

Not sure I got anything....cant remember, could not have been anything expensive like that though.

You have a nice notebook now, use it for school, put together a decently cheap desktop for gaming.
---
My Photography and such: http://insidemyeyes.aminus3.com/ (I take pictures of unsuspecting people and inanimate objects for funsies mostly.)
#10Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/4/2012 1:54:43 AM
Askt them to return it, mention that some of the applications you need to run only work on Windows machines, pray they're non the wiser.
---
2700K @ 4.5ghz(1.28v) | Sapphire 7970 Crossfire @ 1125/1500 | Samsung 830 SSD | 8GB Sniper | 500R | Corsair 850AX | Windblowz 7 Pro