This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alienware Desktops, Meant More for Non-Tech Savvy Users?

#1Death DurronPosted 6/4/2012 12:35:04 AM
Apology if the use of non-tech savvy is an insult to anyone but for anyone who prefer to only use desktops over laptops, is the only major reasons to purchase Alienware or any pre-built desktops is if they're not capable of building their own desktop and/or don't want to go through the hassle of building their own?

I got a few friends who are capable but as mentioned don't want to go through the hassle of building their own and in some cases prefer Alienware despite acknowledging that they're rather overpriced for what they include. For those wanting high-end hardware are there few companies that also build pre-built desktops that gives you the same options as Alienware desktops?

For anyone that do own Alienware desktop was there no other choices, did you not want to bother building your own and/or not capable of building your own?

Again apology if this insults anyway? I see this almost like me maintaining my car. Most stuff I do on my own but others I take it to a shop either cause it's too much of a hassle on my own and/or I'm incapable of doing it on my own. However I feel with car shops at least prices don't seem to vary so much that there's one out there that's overpriced compared to the others.

Comments and opinion are appreciated,

Thank you
---
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"
"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"
#2CrapFactoryPosted 6/4/2012 1:32:18 AM
I know some very computer smart people who buy Alienware. They know they're paying more. They don't care for various reasons. They don't build often for various reasons.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427 0884 0916
#3fakewarsPosted 6/4/2012 1:43:54 AM
There is 2 probability:
1. Non tech savvy person
2. Tech savvy person who is very rich and don't care about the price

same thing with mac user
#4zxelmanPosted 6/4/2012 1:56:38 AM(edited)
Most people on this board would still suggest to build one.

Course it's not 100% easy. Just easy enough if you know your parts.
---
www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
Best way to determine what each laptop GPU can run on each game. Look for yours in CP
#5reincarnator07Posted 6/4/2012 4:00:37 AM
Alienware laptops aren't too bad, but their desktops are horribly overpriced even compared to other prebuilts. You are paying a LOT for the brand and the flashy lights.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#6ElDudorinoPosted 6/4/2012 6:42:10 AM
Alienware desktops are a rip-off, plain and simple. Some people don't mind being ripped off, but let's call a spade a spade. Building your own computer is VERY easy if you know your parts and you'll pay a fraction of the price. Or you can go to one of those sites that builds a PC for you and you'll end up overpaying by a bit but STILL save money compared to an Alienware for the same or even better performance.
#7ShadowSkill11Posted 6/4/2012 7:21:11 AM
Any desktop you buy for a home user pre built is for a non tech savvy user.
#8FdshadowPosted 6/4/2012 8:06:39 AM(edited)
Typical tech savvy pride, especially in new ones and those still studying, can make them believe there is absolutely no market for such things, but there is. With time comes acceptance that, indeed, some people do like paying premium for a brand, there's nothing wrong with it ('BLARGH! KILLING THE INDUSTRY!'....give me a break).

If anything, I actually prefer suggesting a client to have all their pieces come from the same source, that means I won't have to deal with the (disturbingly frequent) feedback when they screw up and break something. I'll just have to point them towards Dell's customer support, and -they- will have to deal with their horrendous policies, not I.

I learned to step on my pride, because a client will inevitably ask me to prove I can build a rig that's more powerful and less expensive, then expect the whole to be flawless. If something breaks, well, too bad, they likely thought all warranties were linked together and whatnot, I'm the one they'll blame.

Then you have to understand typical marketing; if the client sees a shiny (or flaming, showing a computer on fire is a new trend apparently, makes it more appealing I guess) computer, and I propose him one that is less expensive, common sense suggests that they can only be disappointed with my product. I can bet you the moment a problem occurs, they'll grit their teeth and claim they should had bought the branded, expensive model. Since they would had paid more, the quality would, in the end, be better.... that's just how marketing works.

So yes, you are right: Alienwares are meant for those that can't be bothered to know how a computer works, and also wants a gaming rig. Same with Macs, but on a broader scale (though their laptops are usually worth it); you pay more for less, but in the end, chances are you're going to be happier.

TL:DR: Making a custom rig for a client is a lose/lose situation for whoever tries to help you, directing you to an overpriced brand is win/win, there's a market for everything, including Alienware. I'd rather know my client is happy with his build than worry myself over being blamed for -anything- happening to the rig.

Besides, some tech-savvies can take sadistic pride in knowing they made someone pay for their ignorance.

EDIT: Cleaned things up a bit.
#9ShadowSkill11Posted 6/4/2012 7:57:10 AM
Fdshadow posted...
Typical IT's pride, especially in new ones and those still studying, can make them believe there is absolutely no market for such things, but there is. With time comes acceptance that, indeed, some people do like paying premium for a brand, there's nothing wrong with it ('BLARGH! KILLING THE INDUSTRY!'....give me a break).

If anything, I actually prefer suggesting a client to have all their pieces come from the same source, that means I won't have to deal with the (disturbingly frequent) feedback when they screw up and break something. I'll just have to point them towards Dell's customer support, and -they- will have to deal with their horrendous policies, not I.

I learned to step on my pride, because a client will inevitably ask me to prove I can build a rig that's more powerful and less expensive, then expect the whole to be flawless. If something breaks, well, too bad, they likely thought all warranties were linked together and whatnot, I'm the one they'll blame.

Then you have to understand typical marketing; if the client sees a shiny (or flaming, showing a computer on fire is a new trend apparently, makes it more appealing I guess) computer, and I propose him one that is less expensive, common sense suggests that they can only be disappointed with my product. I can bet you the moment a problem occurs, they'll grit their teeth and claim they should had bought the branded, expensive model. Since they would had paid more, the quality would, in the end, be better.... that's just how marketing works.

So yes, you are right: Alienwares are meant for those that can't be bothered to know how a computer works, and also wants a gaming rig. Same with Macs, but on a broader scale (though their laptops are usually worth it); you pay more for less, but in the end, chances are you're going to be happier.

TL:DR: Making a custom rig for a client is lose/lose for the IT, directing him to an overpriced brand is win/win, there's a market for everything, including Alienware. I'd rather know my client is happy with his build than worry myself over being blamed for -anything- happening to the rig.

Besides, if it helps, ITs can take sadistic pride in knowing they made someone pay for their ignorance.

I'm sorry. The whole post s flow was disrupted when you kept using The abbreviation for Information Technology both plural and a name for a group of people. It just didn't make any sense.
#10ElDudorinoPosted 6/4/2012 8:01:14 AM
Information Technologists. Information Technology. Meh, it's readable.

I would still sooner tell somebody to go to one of those sites that builds a custom rig for you and still beats Alienware prices even if I knew that they lacked the intelligence or maturity to handle either building their own computer or having me build it for them without them blaming me if the hard disk turned out to be defective. I see no reason to send any business Alienware's way with the outrageous prices they charge. There are cheaper alternatives for powerful computers even if you don't want to build your own.